Long time no posting from me . . . my gardens and yard have just kept me so busy. Plus a little mini-trip to the beach to de-stress was in order.
.So I last promised that I would bake a spring cake for Mother’s Day, made with rhubarb that I harvested from my garden. This recipe is one that my mama makes for family get-togethers and it is always devoured! It is made with strawberry jello, lots of sugar, and marshmellows in order to sweeten up the bitter rhubarb and then it is topped with a dry yellow cake mix for a ‘streusel’ effect. I hope that you try this and enjoy with creamy vanilla ice cream on top!
- 4 cups rhubarb, leaves cut off, stalks cut up into ½" to 1" pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large box strawberry jello
- 2 cups mini marshmellows
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick of butter, cut into thin slices (for covering the top)
- 1 yellow cake mix.
- Spread the first 4 ingredients in a 12" x 9" baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top to cover
- Add cut up pieces of butter and the nuts, scattering evenly on the top of the dry cake mix.
- DON'T FORGET THE BUTTER!
- Pour the water evenly over all ingredients.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Have lots of vanilla ice cream (or gelato) on hand to serve with the cake!