- Freshly picked zucchini blossoms
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup flour
- Vegetable or canola oil (not olive oil)
- If necessary, clean the zucchini blossoms with a rapid rinse under cold running water.
- Dry them GENTLY on paper towels.
- Cut the stems to about 1? long.
- Cut the base of the blossom on one side only and then OPEN UP the blossom to be able to lay flat, without dividing it.
- Put one (1) cup of water in a wide soup bowl and gradually add the flour through a sifter and CONSTANTLY beat the mixture with a fork until all the flour is added.
- The batter will have a consistency of sour cream.
- Pour vegetable or canola oil (not olive oil!!!) in a skillet up two 3/4 of the height of the pan sides.
- Heat the oil to the hottest you can without burning the oil.
- When the oil is very hot, dip the zucchini blossoms into the batter, coat evenly, and slip only as many as will fit loosely into the skillet.
- When a golden crust has formed on one side of the blossoms, turn them over to fry on the other side until golden brown.
- When both sides have a lovely golden brown crust, place the blossoms on paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt before they dry.
- Continue in the same manner until all the blossoms are fried.
- Serve promptly while piping hot!
Zucchini Blosssoms Fried in Pastella (Fiori di Zucchini Fritti in Pastella) — a classic Italian recipe that everyone should try!
Enjoy this recipe for
Fried Zucchini Blossoms / Fiori di Zucchini Fritti in Pastella