Cranberries, beautiful little crimson red cranberries! They’re fresh in the market right now and I’m stocking up on them to use in some great recipes that have been featured in many cooking magazines this season. I have an old perennial cherished family recipe that I cannot be without for the holidays, but I’m also anxious to try a lot of new recipes this year too. Gotta stay fresh and on top of things!
So to share with you, here is one of my absolutely favorite Thanksgiving and Christmas family recipes. I bake batches and batches of this Cranberry Bread that our family just devours. They freeze beautifully and make wonderful gifts for friends, family, and neighbors (especially nice to give as gifts to folks who pop by with those surprise visits with a holiday gift in hand, and you’re standing there thinking, “Oh my gosh, I need to reciprocate with something nice in return!” Well this little bread is the answer to your situation. Plus, it’s so nice to know that something as delicious as fresh cranberries have such strong health benefits as well! These little red gems are packed with powerful antioxidants and cooking does NOT destroy their benefits!
So dig in, enjoy, and feel good about it all at the same time!
- 1 cup fresh, sliced cranberries
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Wash and slice the cranberries (can be sliced in a food processor).
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Beat eggs with a beater.
- Add the beaten eggs to the milk, butter and vanilla.
- In the center of the dry mixture, make a hole or well into which you pour in the egg mixture.
- Blend together until all of the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spread Crisco/shortening on all sides and bottom of small and mini bread loaf pans.
- Pour the mixture into greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until golden brown on top, until a cake tester/knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand and cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and allow to cool on wire racks.
- Decadent when spread with softened butter and sprinkled with sugar.