Italian Asparagus and Potato Gratin in Six Cheese Sauce

Easter and Spring! Such a wonderful holiday and season that together herald delicious traditional foods including buttery asparagus, tender new potatoes, garden-fresh spinach, eggs, succulant ham and more! For our very small Easter dinner (just my husband and me this year), we baked a brown sugar crusted ham, a cheesy asparagus and potato gratin and prepared a sweet and savory spinach salad..
Since the weather has been so incredibly warm for this time of year, we spent most of our day outside in the gardens after going to church early in the morning. We decided to keep our menu simple because all of our kids and their families stayed in their home cities this year. We’ve got a very busy family with their own careers, children, and even more babies on the way, so we just kept the stress level lower by not traveling to one or the other this year.
So in light of that train of thought on simplicity, I’ll get straight to one of my recipes that I prepared for Easter, starting with the Asparagus and Potato Gratin in Six Cheese Sauce. This is a dish that I came up with on m
y own, using my favorite cheeses that bubble and create a golden brown top with beautiful green asparagus peeking through while the potatoes float underneath. This dish is a lovely spring dish in presentation as well. Mmmm, so good too!

Italian Asparagus and Potato Gratin in Six Cheese Sauce

What You Need:

• 4 medium Idaho russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1" pieces, not using the largest 3" ends
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • Salt and white pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Mozzarella cheese
  • 1/8 cup finely grated Provolone cheese
  • 1/8 cup finely grated Asiago cheese
  • 1/8 cup finely grated Parmesan/Parmigiano cheese
  • 1/8 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
  • 1/4 finely grated cheddar cheese
  • (these total up to 1 full cup of grated cheese)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place the sliced potatoes into a square or round baking dish.
  3. Add the asparagus.
  4. Pour the half and half on top.
  5. Sprinkle the minced garlic all over.
  6. Salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Stir gently.
  8. Sprinkle all of the Italian cheeses in and stir gently again.
  9. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and do not stir.
  10. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until a golden brown color forms on top, such as in the photo below.

Plate up the asparagus/potato gratin with ham slices and a buttery croissant.
asapI hope that you enjoy this, springtime or anytime!

Wishing you a blessed, happy Easter and beautiful springtime!!
share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest3Google+0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

That is beautiful and sounds so delicious! I am so happy that asparagus is in season again.

The weather has been so nice here too but the days keep getting ruined by unthinking neighbors burning leaves and choking me back into the house!

You are killing me! Asparagus, potatoes, cheese and cream– how rich and decadent!! Sigh. I’m trying to lighten things up, but this recipe…oh, how I would have loved to been in on the action. gorgeous!

I saw the words “six cheese sauce” and came running over;D Looks absolutely mouth watering and delicious. Great side dish for Easter.

Jackie, I tried to find your blog to answer you directly, but did not find one through your link (with your name), so I’ll respond here if you come back to check: yes, absolutely you can make this without the asparagus. That was actually part of my own rendition, so go for it any way that you like; change the cheeses around, etc. Thanks for asking and for stopping by to chat! Have a great day! Roz

Thank you for sharing this – it sounds exactly right for spring! My husband and I were also by ourselves this year for Easter but I wasn’t nearly as creative (ham sandwiches). Sorry – I know I’m a gourmet embarassment!
    Susan

I am here from FF. So glad to meet you.
    Would you love to make some extra money?
    I have a huge opportunity on my blog.
    Please stop by and follow me back.
    Rebecca
    @ Buttons and Bows
    Happy Friday Follow

Visiting you from SITS AND this sounds absolutely, totally amazing! Our asparagus is just starting to come on….I’m saving this recipe!

Yum.

Visiting you from SITS!

Hi..I’m Barb from Fri. Follow. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well.
    Also I’m having a Link Party Monday April 12th called “My Creative Space” @ Santa’s Gift Shoppe Year Round..Would love you to join in. Those photos & recipes would fit in perfectly for the world to see your blog!! They are stunning!!!!

Wow! I am so glad to have found your blog!! I am currently experimenting with new recipes! And your’s look amazing!!! The pictures of all of the NY food is making me want to make a night dash to Juniors for cheesecake!(I’m live in NYC partime so the temptation for all of the delicious food is a constant :-)
    I’m following from the Friday Follow! ( a little late ) You can follow me at http://savvycouponmommy.blogspot.com
    Have a wonderful week!

i haven’t been over in a bit and thought i’d stop by and say “hi” and see what’s up in your part of blogasphere.. o my goodness that looks delicious! yum!
    shelley

I seriously want that in front of my face right now, so it can be in my belly!!!! I am DROOLING!!!!!!

That is so amazing looking!

I found you through SITS:)

I have a FREE giveaway on my blog right now, that you would LOVE LOVE LOVE! I promise! It is Le Creuset….enough said! You could use it to whip up another fab dish! Come by and check it out!

I love your blog! I also am an Italian that lives in the Carolinas, I live in Duncan, SC to be exact. Looking forward to trying some recipes from here!

This is the perfect Spring time dish! And it’s incredibly delicious looking! Thanks for sending it to my Showdown. It will be a great additon. You don’t have to do anything else – I will add it to the McKlinky. Hope all is well with you! XO