What You Need:
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated, extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese (Boar's Head Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar is our favorite)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is preferred in this area)
- (note: although we love Miracle Whip, this recipe needs a simple, pure mayo and not a salad dressing such as M.W. that is gloriously spiced)
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. chopped/diced jarred pimentos, drained
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp. diced onion
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/8 cayenne pepper, to taste
- What you need to make the cheeseburgers:
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground chuck
- Sprinkle the following to your taste preferences:
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mrs. Dash Grilling Seasoning for Steak
- Nature's Seasons
- Large hamburger buns (kaiser rolls work well)
- Mix all the ingredients together, either by hand or in a food processor.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill and allow the flavors to blend well until ready to use.
- Form the burger patties and press a nice 'well' on top of each where you put the pimento cheese.
- With a large spoon or tablespoon put a nice sized dollop of pimento cheese in each well on top of the meat patties.
- Pull the sides of the ground meat up and around the cheese as best as possible, sort of like the sides of a bowl.
- Form another thin meat patty and place it on top.
- With your fingers, tightly seal the two layers of meat patties so that the cheese will stay contained within when grilled.
- Sprinkle the burgers with your favorite seasons (mine are listed above) and plenty of salt.
- Grill for at least 5 minutes on each side.
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onions
- Cooked thick-sliced bacon