Cheesy Southern Pimento Cheese Burgers!

Pimento Cheese Burgers all garnished up and ready to devour just moments ago!
Before my family and I moved to the Southern region of the U.S. I had already fallen in love with Southern cooking through the hundreds of mouth-watering recipes that I read from my subscription to Southern Living magazine. In many of those recipes, I would come across an ingredient that was simply impossible to find in the Midwest: Pimento Cheese!
This brilliant orange colored stuff is created with extra-sharp cheddar cheese, chopped pimentos, mayonnaise, and other ingredients that folks differ on whether or not to include (I provide several options for you in the recipe below). After moving here, I found this incredibly tasting, yet very fattening whipped cheese everywhere! Southern cooks even have their own prized secret family recipes! Many a Southern mama would curse any family member for giving away their treasured recipe, no matter HOW politely you may ask!
And in South Carolina, in the middle of the state, in the capital city of Columbia, is a classic hamburger that is served using this golden cheese spread: Pimento Cheese Burgers! This unique hamburger has even been given the title of the city’s “national food”. As a pimento cheese addict, I had to try this Southern burger, no matter how bad it is for my cholesterol level (which is low by the way!). Trust me, you’ll be begging for more too!

Above pimento cheese burger served without any garnish for hubby. Cut open and the cheesy concoction appears! It stayed inside perfectly!

Cheesy Southern Pimento Cheese Burgers

What You Need:

For The Pimento Cheese spread:
  • 1-1/2 cups finely grated, extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese (Boar's Head Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar is our favorite)
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is preferred in this area)
  • (note: although we love Miracle Whip, this recipe needs a simple, pure mayo and not a salad dressing such as M.W. that is gloriously spiced)
  • 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp. chopped/diced jarred pimentos, drained
  • The following is optional to add to the cheese mixture according to your taste preferences:
  • 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. diced onion
  • crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 1/8 cayenne pepper, to taste
  • For the Burgers:
  • What you need to make the cheeseburgers:
  • 1 pound ground sirloin
  • 1 pound ground chuck
  • Sprinkle the following to your taste preferences:
  • Sea salt or kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Mrs. Dash Grilling Seasoning for Steak
  • Accent
  • Nature's Seasons
  • Large hamburger buns (kaiser rolls work well)

Instructions

Prepare the Pimento Cheee Mixture:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together, either by hand or in a food processor.
  2. Place in the refrigerator to chill and allow the flavors to blend well until ready to use.
  3. Prepare the Burgers:
  4. Form the burger patties and press a nice 'well' on top of each where you put the pimento cheese.
  5. With a large spoon or tablespoon put a nice sized dollop of pimento cheese in each well on top of the meat patties.
  6. Pull the sides of the ground meat up and around the cheese as best as possible, sort of like the sides of a bowl.
  7. Form another thin meat patty and place it on top.
  8. With your fingers, tightly seal the two layers of meat patties so that the cheese will stay contained within when grilled.
  9. Sprinkle the burgers with your favorite seasons (mine are listed above) and plenty of salt.
  10. Grill for at least 5 minutes on each side.
  11. Garnish options:
  12. Lettuce leaves
  13. Sliced tomatoes
  14. Sliced onions
  15. Cooked thick-sliced bacon
  16. Mayonnaise
  17. Mustard
  18. Ketchup

Form the burger patties and press a nice ‘well’ on top of each where you put the pimento cheese.

The golden-orange color of the pimento cheese next to the red of the meat patties is gorgeous, don’t you think?

Form another thin meat patty and place it on top. With your fingers, tightly seal the two layers of meat patties so that the cheese will stay contained within when grilled.
Sprinkle the burgers with your favorite seasons and plenty of salt.
Grill for at least 5 minutes on each side. These big boys need to cook through due to their size!
Kettle potato chips and baked beans make great sides to accompany these pimento cheese burgers!

OPEN WIDE! These are huge! Enjoy!
share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest17Google+0Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

My mouth is watering and my tongue is hanging out after seeing your wonderful photos and reading about this recipe. I must make these soon!

Oh Roz these look fabulous. My hubby is a southern boy, loves the pimento cheese! He would probably kill for one of these burgers. (not really kill) I made him some homemade pimento cheese some time ago, he was lovin’ it! I’m going to tr your burgers Roz.

I just saw a recipe for these in….shoot, I forgot! I think cook’s Illustrated. I made a mental note to add this to my list of Southern dishes I want to learn how to make. Oh, Roz…. my horse is back home! I’m so excited to be able to smell her mane and to see her move around. She’s on my Facebook.
    You understand the joy of horses…

I have to say, I’ve never been a fan of pimento cheese. When my husband eats it i pick out shreds of cheese and eat that instead of the spread- ha ha!

But while I was at my in-laws today I found a recipe on the end table for pimento cheese burgers. How ironic is that?! It’s a recipe by Bobby Flay that was on the Hellman’s mayonnaise bottle. They served the pimento cheese on top of the burger patty. It looks good and I think my husband would love this burger.

Ooh and those burgers on the grill look perfect!

This looks insanely good. I love stuffed burgers, as long as the filling doesn’t leak out. I always have problems with that happening. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I cannot wait to try it.

I’m a new follower from the Friday Follow. My husband’s family is from South Carolina and I think he would drool over this recipe! We’re trying to get fit after two kids but I may have to make an exception for this one of these weekends. Thanks for sharing it!

Hi, I’m a new follower from Friday Follow. You have delicious looking food and recipes..I get the urge regularly to try new things so I will be stopping back soon I’m sure. Have a great day and please stop by and follow back!

Hey neighbor. Thanks for stopping by today and for your sweet comment. I am glad to have another Carolina girl as a follower. I do love your blog too…and these burgers…they look amazing!

Hi Roz!

Thanks for stopping by the Over 40 Bloggers I added your blog to the list!!

Thanks for joining the party and I’m looking forward to our new friendship!

Hope you get lots of followers from it!

I would also like to invite you to join the Follow Friday 40 and Over Blog Hop!

I am now following you! What a great blog you have…I’m going to go read some more!!! I’ll check out your other blog as well!!

Have a great weekend!

Omg that looks delicious. Too bad I’m on a diet. I feel like cheating now and going to get a burger. Haha

Following from Friday Follow. I hope you can find the time to stop by my blog and do the same! Have a fantastic weekend.

Hey, Roz! Glad you like the Over 40 Blog Hop – I’m also enjoying it. I checked your button on my side bar and re-installed the code. I think it’s OK and working now. Blogger has been a bit tempermental today.

Thanks for letting me know – I want everyone to find your wonderful blog!
    Best Wishes,
    Susan

Hi, again, Roz! I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be a comment crazy woman – if you’ll send me you email address I won’t leave you so many comments and I can answer your questions! When your comments come in to me they come as “no reply” so I can’t get back to you directly. So sorry….
    Susan

Luv pimento cheese, although I make it a little spicy over here in Texas… Have never thought of putting it on a burger! Luv this idea and I am going to do it soon! thanx for a great idea!