Cherry Tomato Basil Pesto Sauce on Farfalle Pasta

Tiny little tomatoes!  “Sweet 100″ tomatoes!  We just can’t get enough of these little red rubies in the garden!  We planted only one plant of this variety last year and loved them SO much, that we planted four plants this year.
Oh my goodness, what was I even thinking about?
I’m going to have to back off next year, because this variety is true to its name:  Very SWEET and continually bearing hundreds of little tomatoes.  The plants grew so fast, and with so many on each plant, that the tomatoes are dropping off faster than I can keep up with harvesting them.  I’ve been giving them to friends though, as well as our dogs who love them as a snack (our vet approves too).  I’ve already made three batches of this sauce and several other standby recipes (look under tomatoes on the sidebar), and those tomato plants are still producing these little guys!
This recipe requires roasting the tomatoes which really enhances their sweetness and brings out their flavor!  You don’t have to peel them either which keeps things very simple!  While the roasting is going on in the oven (or on the grill inside a veggie basket) you prepare a quick and easy basil pesto sauce to toss the cooked tomatoes in.  Then toss on top of your favorite pasta and serve!  DONE in no time at all!
This recipe is extremely versatile as well.  Not only can you serve this as an entree/main dish, but you can also serve it as a side dish, AND as an appetizer on top of crostini as you would do with bruschetta.  You can make this ahead of time as well for any of the above situations and that’s a big plus!
Tomatoes growing nearly out of control on the vine!
One or two of the basil crop in the garden
Just one morning’s harvest . . . seriously, just one.  This amount is picked daily!

Cherry Tomato Basil Pesto Sauce on Farfalle Pasta

1  – 2 pounds fresh, ripe red cherry tomatoes (we use Sweet 100’s)
1 – 2 tsp. olive oil
Sea salt
20 – 30 leaves fresh basil
2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Pour olive oil onto a baking pan.
Place the cherry tomatoes on the baking pan and roll them around to coat the tomatoes.
Sprinkle the sea salt lightly over the tomatoes.
Roast the tomato/olive oil/sea salt mixture in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, have a deep pot of water boiling to cook your pasta.
Cook pasta in the boiling water for the amount of time necessary for ‘al dente’ doneness.
While the tomatoes are roasting in the oven, prepare the basil sauce.
In a mini food processor, chop up the basil leaves (stems removed).
Add the garlic, olive oil, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Chop for another 30 seconds.
Put the warm roasted tomatoes in a large fry pan.
Add the basil/pesto sauce to the tomatoes in the pan.
Blend gently.
Drain cooked pasta.
Place in a pretty serving dish.
Pour the tomato/basil sauce on top.
Garnish and serve!
On a baking sheet, pour olive oil to coat it, then put your tomatoes on top and give them a swirl to dress them with the olive oil.

Aren’t they beautiful?
Chop up the basil (in a mini food processor here), add olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and garlic.
Pour the basil pesto sauce onto the roasted tomatoes in a large frying pan.
Cook on medium for only enough time to heat the basil/pesto sauce through.
Mix it all up during the cooking process.
Serve over your favorite pasta shape……I used farfalle (bow ties) for this dish.
Just beautiful color!  The aroma of this is just incredible too!
Mangia!

Comments

This is a beautiful dish. tonight, I roasted fresh tomatoes to make a fresh pasta sauce. Yours looks amazing-what a creative way to use your sweet 100’s.

Wow! Looks like you have an amazing crop of sweet cherry tomatoes. The pasta looks gorgeous!

Very cute that the doggies like the tomatoes:)

My tomatoes are just starting to grow..still green, I cannot wait til they are ready for cooking!
    I stopped by and followed from Over 40 FF. Your photo’s are amazing!
    I hope when you have the chance you will stop by to say hello!

Thanks for the add and comment! Your site is beautiful and we do share a lot of the same interests. I can’t wait to explore your blog further and follow!

I planted these tomatoes this year too. I can’t wait to eat them up when they’re ripe. Your pasta is gorgeous. What a perfect way to showcase your homegrown tom toms! xoxox

You know, if you’re looking to get rid of some tomatoes….I know a girl in NYC who would be happy to take some off your hands! This sauce is to-die for! Love that it has pesto in it!

My sweet 100’s have not started to bear yet. We are behind harvest about 2 weeks due to the colder spring weather. What a beautiful site. I’ll follow along. Thanks for visiting me and commenting on my blog.

Beautiful photos!

Oh my goodness, Roz…sensory overload! Your photos are so amazing I can almost taste it! Beautiful and so packed with the taste of summer. Sorry I’ve been kinda absent lately…summer madness, ya know!? Thanks so much for sharing with Two for Tuesdays again this week…always a pleasure =)

YUMMY! I wish my tomato plants produced like that. Your pictures are perfect and this recipe sounds so fresh and yummy. I am tempted to make it tonight. Thanks so much for sharing this at Two for Tuesdays this week.

Ohhhhh Roz! This is such a good idea! I have a lot of these too and they split if you leave them on the vine too long so having a recipe to use instead of just in a salad is a great thing! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) alex@amoderatelife

Nice to meet you on FF. This looks just wonderful. I haven’t roasted the tomatoes before, but I can tell just by looking at the beautiful color of your finished dish that this would be so rich in flavor. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, that sounds and looks delicious! I may have to give it a go myself!

Dropping by from Follow Friday 40 and Over and am among the newest followers of your beautiful blog.

I look forward to reading more from you in the future…

Hi Roz thanks so much for having a look at my blog! I Loooove xherry tomatoes I wish I was as lucky as you to have them falling at my feet quicker than I could harvest tem! Yum!
    The recipe looks great aside from the cheese! That can easily be remedie with some vegan Parmesan though haha :) thanks for sharing! I’m craving some cherry tomatoes now!

Hi! I just found you through todays Lady Bloggers Tea, and can I tell you that I think you (already) are going to be one of my very FAVORITE blogs? I love everything about your “About” page, and the small amount of blog I’ve looked as so far is … wonderful! This recipe – in particular – is going to be our DINNER TONITE!!! Thanks SO MUCH! I’m a follower now, so I’ll be back, for sure!

Lovely blog, and what gorgeous photos! My father was born in Italy, and I cook with basil from my garden. Your recipes sound delicious. I’m from Lady Blogger’s Tea Party…nice to meet you!

Aloha Roz. I have been kidnapped by my new job. I am held hostage from being on the internet, unless it’s job related. On weekends, I finally get a furlough to clean my house, spend time with my family and maybe squeak in a blog post or two. I’m working 14 hours days (split shift, far from home), and I miss my blogger friends. I am anxiously waiting for my cherry tomatoes to ripen, as soon as California coughs up some sunshine. I’m living with overcast skies and cool temps. Reading your posts from Hawaii is turning my complexion a bit green. Enjoy!
    Hugs, Debby

I cut back to two sweet 100 plants this year but I also have a
    Sungold. I just don’t think you can ever have too many cherry tomatoes. I love this sauce recipe. I will have to pair this with my just made pesto.

Wow, what a delicious-looking sauce and what beautiful photos to showcase the making of it! I love garden-fresh veggies…and pasta! I’ll have to try this sauce ;)

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this excellent blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and
    adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand
    new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook
    group. Talk soon!