Gorgonzola Stuffed Fresh Figs with Drizzled Honey

Briefly in ‘autumno’, particularly in the month of October, mother nature brings forth the autumnal treat of delicate and sweet figs, also known as ‘settembrini’.  Although fig trees bear their fruit twice a year, it is the later harvest that is the sweetest and the most tender.  For centuries since the days of the Romans, Italians have enjoyed their figs and have mastered numerous mouthwatering methods for preparing them!  The classic combination is to pair up something savory to compliment the sweetness of the figs.  For example, as antipasto, there is the simplicity of wrapping a very thing slice of prosciutto around a fig (which I am thrilled that Lidia Bastianich recommended to me through a direct comment on Facebook! I was so impressed with her humility to respond to my inquiry to her!).  I watch her show, Lidia’s Italy, every week for her incredibly authentic Italian recipes and her trips that she takes her viewers on in Italy.  Her show is a wonderful production!
I have not been able to find a local producer of figs in the Carolina’s, most of them being brought in from California.  Once picked from the tree, figs have a very short shelf life and that may be one of the reasons that they are so difficult to find.  Also, most people are not familiar with the taste of fresh figs due to their lack of availability, so some markets refuse to carry them due to how fast figs spoil when consumers don’t purchase them.  So if you are fortunate enough to find these in your local market, buy a pint or two, but use up in just a few days because they will spoil very quickly.  The variety that I prefer to use are the darker, Black Mission Figs, which seem to have a kiss of purple-blue in the skin.  There is also a variety known as Brown Turkey, and they are appropriately named due to their brown color.

Gorgonzola Stuffed Fresh Figs with Honey Drizzle
Black Mission Figs, sliced in fourths, stopping just before the bottom, do not slice through entirely.
Gorgonzola “Sweet” (not “Piccante”) Cheese
Local Fresh Honey
Gently open the sliced figs.
Spoon in the soft Gorgonzola.
Drizzle with fresh, local honey
Enjoy!
Another classic and divine antipasto/appetizer that Lidia Bastianich wrote to me about is to simply take a very thin slice of prosciutto and wrap it around various sizes and slices of figs, with or without the addition of Gorgonzola ~ ~ which is my preference.  I love the savory zing that the Gorgonzola adds to balance the sweetness of the figs.  These are heavenly!  Grazie Lidia, for taking the time to write to me!

And lastly, another way to serve this antipasto is to add a very thin slice of Genoa salami in addition to the prosciutto and Gorgonzola.  This time the cheese is sprinkled around the figs and each guest can scoop up the cheese if preferred.

share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest10Google+0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

I remember seeing this lady on a food channel years ago!… and I’ve also remembered this fig,honey and gorgonzola concoction… I think I might be brave to try it.. Years ago, I did not like gorgonzola at all.. Figs have also fascinated me… someone told me they’re a sensual fruit… My grandpa had a fig tree and he loved figs… they are gorgeous on the outside.. as well as on the inside…

Roz – That is so wonderful that Lidia wrote to share these recipes with you! How cool. Your pictures of these sweet delicate treats are beautiful and I love all the preparations, but would especially like to try the one with the salami too.

Bet you were ecstatic along with being impressed to find that response and the recipes. Your photos are fabulous Roz. I so love the stuffed figs, wishing for a plate right now!

I absolutely LOVE that you received a comment from LIDIA!!! I absolutely LOVE HER, and her show!! (I swear, I could BE Italian! On second thought, I SHOULD BE Italian!) ANd this post is fabu!! Your photography makes me so happy (isn’t that crazy?) LOVE IT!!!

I love figs! Although I went the sweet route and used chocolate with my last batch and feta and honey on my last few before that, for a savory treat these recipes are brilliant. My mouth is watering! ;-)

Your fig appetizers look so delicious. We were lucky to have lots of them at our local farmers market this summer in Los Angeles. And Lidia… I have all of her books and I recently bought a chitarra so I can make some of her recipes. Love her.

I absolutely adore Lidia!! She’s so wonderful…as are these gorgonzola stuffed figs…droolin’ maniac over here! Glad you shared them with the hearth and soul hop this week, Roz :D

If Lidia says it – it comes to pass. She never fails and judging by these photos – this is delicious – the sweet fig, the pungent cheese, the salty meat – oh I am in heaven.

I am sadly one of those who have never tasted figs. Life in a little town in the midwest will do that! All of your pictures are so drool worthy, I think I would love the gorgonzola and honey with the figs the most. Thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!

There are some advantages to living in California. Fresh abundance of figs is one of them! I love the prosciutto with brie, wrapped around figs and grilled. An Italian blogger turned me on to that one.
    The honey one looks fantastic!

I adore figs – though we so seldom get them fresh where I live, and of course hellishly expensive on that rare occasion that they turn up here. Coupled with blue cheese is my favourite combo, (I put them together in wontons this week) and I love the idea of the prosciutto wrapped around them. I’m a big fan of Lidia’s, and have her Lidia’s Italy book.
    Sue :-)

Oh how I love fresh figs! They are hard to find here in the southwest and are only around for a few short weeks! I have a few simple recipes on my blog, but my fav is stuffing them w gorgonzola and a pecan and sprinkling with evoo and cracked pepper! I’m loving your honey idea!!

Honey and fat loss are frequently linked. Why is honey a smarter option than table sugar if you’re watching your weight and what you consume? a lot of people might not attach eating something sweet with fat loss, however honey may be a helpful trick to assist you shed some weight. Honey is a easy sugar It is a normal sweetener, it Includes twenty two amino acids plus a variety of mineralsbut unlike white harvested sugar additionally to nutritional vitamins, minerals and nutrients.