So for this year’s gift to my sweetie, I made this sweet Italian bread pudding and instead of using regular bread, I substituted a berry-ladened panettone bread. It is just incredible! The panettone alone could be dessert! I took a regular bread pudding recipe, doubled the ingredients for the custard, and layered in a trio of fresh raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. To top it off, I made a light Limoncello whipped cream and sprinkled on more berries.
It’s so special and so delicious, and oh did my husband love it!
prior to pouring on the custard.
- 2 lbs. mixed berry panettone bread (I used Fiasconaro' Frutti di Bosco), baking paper removed from sides and bottom of panettone, torn up into 1-1/2" pieces
- 6 jumbo eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups heavy cream
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups mixed berries: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
- Lemon Whipped cream and fresh berries for garnish.
- 1-1/2 cup cold whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup sugar, blend into the whipped cream
- 1 tsp. Limoncello liqour OR freshly squeezed lemon juice, blended in
- zest of 1 lemon, blended in.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a large 9 x 15" baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the eggs.
- Add the sugar to the eggs and mix until pale and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla extract, pinch of sea salt, and lemon zest.
- Beat in the heavy cream.
- Spread 1/3 of the bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Scatter 1 cup of the mixed berries on top of the bread cubes.
- Layer another 1/3 of the bread cubes on top of the berry layer.
- Scatter the 2nd cup of the mixed berries on top of the bread cubes.
- Layer the final 1/3 of the bread cubes on top of the berry layer.
- Pour the egg/custard mixture over all of the bread cube and berry layers.
- Press the bread cubes down into all of the custard sauce.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. of sugar all over the top.
- Let the entire mixture sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the egg custard mixture.
- Bake the bread pudding in the center of the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the custard is set.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting into and serving.
- Serve with freshly whipped Limoncello whipped cream and fresh berries.