Gazpacho Ala Mama!

My mother just prepared the best gazpacho I’ve ever tasted in my life!  I brought a huge box of tomatoes from my garden back to the Midwest with me and since gazpacho is one of her favorite soups along with this intense heat in July, she decided to use them to make her ‘wow-factor’ version of this chilled Spanish tomato-vegetable soup.  I inherited my ‘preserve, freeze, and/or can’ outlook from my mother, so not surprisingly, she froze most of this batch of soup to enjoy later.  “No waste, no want!”   I could easily say that this gazpacho could rival that of the culinary pros.

The color of this soup is seriously this beautiful shade of deep red, resulting from the vine-ripe tomatoes that she used.  This radiant color and flavor cannot be achieved with those hard, juice-less, spongy pink things that you find in a grocery store.  Also worth noting:  the flavor intensifies as it chills in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.

My mother doesn’t use exact measurements, she’s an old-school, taste-as-you-go cook and she is a master at it.  So I said that she had to give me a little help to be able to write down the recipe and post it here.

Gazpacho Ala Mama

6 cups chopped, vine-ripe, fresh tomatoes
2 large cucumbers, 1 peeled, 1 with peel left on, all seeds removed, sliced and cut into 1/4″ chunks
2 cups chopped celery, sliced and cut into 1/4″ chunks
1 cup Vidalia onion, sliced and cut into 1/4″ chunks
2 red peppers, stem and seeds removed, sliced and cut into 1/4″ chunks
1 yellow pepper, stem and seeds removed, sliced and cut into 1/4″ chunks
1 green pepper, stem and seeds removed, sliced and cut into 1/4″ chunks
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup vinegar:  1/2 of it balsamic vinegar and 1/2 of it red wine vinegar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
5 cups tomato juice (Campbell’s brand is recommended)

Mix everything together and chill overnight for the best marriage of flavors!

share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest86Google+1Share on Facebook5Tweet about this on Twitter0

I apologize for asking you to verify yourself with "Captcha", but SPAM has gotten out of control.

I WILL reply both on your blog and here! After all, that's what good friends do!

Comments

Oh Roz! That looks absolutely gorgeous! I wonder if you have a good recipe for Minestrone. I have my own recipe but I’ll have a look through your web site for yours.

Anne xx

Hi Roz,

Your mom is the best ever! Your beautiful photos make me wish for a bowl right now.

I worked in a small Mexican restaurant where I was first introduced to Gazpacho. My boss prepared a spicy version that was fabulous and a huge summer hit!

Have a great weekend and enjoy your soup :)

And here I thought my mom had the best recipe!!! This looks excellent, Roz…I’m a huge fan of gazpacho. Please give your mom and Kelly a big hug from me :) xo

What a mom you have! Even though I love soup, I’ve never been a big cold soup fan; but this looks so delicious if you’re freezing it, well, then, I’ll just heat it up later. Stay cool! (I think I cook like your mom, but I’m still an apprentice!)

Ummm… YUMMMMMM! Can you send your momma over to my house to cook for me! Wow, it looks amazing much less tastes amazing. Seriously, so fresh and vibrant and I can see the flavors just oozing out from the picture!Go momma!

Mmmm.. this looks great. I’ve never had gazpacho either, really… And today’s grocery day, so I think I’ll plan for it this week. Looks delicious!

Roz, I just found you ! Wow, What a wonderful blog! I’ll be joining you for Fresh Food Friday!
    The gazspacho from your mother looks fabulous and so fresh. Perfect supper to beat the heat!
    Please join me at StoneGable for ON THE MENU MONDAY. This recipe would be a lovely addition.
    So nice to stop by today!
    Yvonne

Hi other Roz!!!!! Your Mama’s gazpacho looks fantastic! (I could go for a bowl of it right now!!!) I’m going to book mark the recipe and give it a go. Hope your Monday has gone well!!! Roz in Canada.

I’m making gazpacho today…and just had to compare your mama’s recipe to my mama’s recipe! Gorgeous as are all of your creations~xoxo