Sweet Potatoes! Baked with lots of herbs and spices! This is the first time that I’ve ever made sweet potatoes in a healthy way that is still delicious! Usually these taters appear on our Thanksgiving table loaded with brown sugar, pineapples, and marshmallows . . . and calories. Well not this time!
For this month’s Secret Recipe Club I selected a healthy yet tasty side dish recipe from Jenna of the blog “The Newlyweds”. I love everything about this recipe and so did my husband! Lots of flavor, lots of healthy goodness, and an interesting avocado based dipping sauce to top it off.
The avocado dip was SO good with a few minor adjustments. We were eating it straight out of the bowl by the spoonful! Even my husband who doesn’t care for avocados thought it was delicious! And that’s saying something! I added freshly chopped cilantro and fresh minced garlic to jazz it up with more flavor. Mmmmm! We grilled chicken breasts that had been marinaded in our favorite Mojo sauce to pair with the potatoes. It was a great combination! I’ll most definitely prepare these spicy, baked sweet potatoes and avocado dip again!
One other plus: The avocado dip would be a superb spread for a hamburger or taco! Spread on thick of course! Thanks Jenna!
adapted from 'The Newlyweds"
What You Need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into 4-inch long and 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick fries
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Southwestern Spice blend
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in large bowl.
- Toss with olive oil until sweet potatoes are coated.
- Add paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper; toss to distribute evenly.
- Arrange the coated fries in a single layer on the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the lower rack until sweet potatoes soften.
- Transfer pan to the upper rack of the oven.
- Bake 10 minutes longer, until fries are crispy.
- Serve with Avocado Dip.