Bucatini with Roasted Sweet Red Pepper Sauce

Roasting red peppers freshly picked from the garden is just one of the easiest things that you can do to preserve your bountiful harvest of peppers.  And here’s a good recipe to use some of those roasted red pepper that you want to enjoy right now!  Now if you’ve never roasted red pepper before, here is a tutorial on my blog:  Just click on this link to find some easy instructions for roasting red peppers.  This is a vegetarian, red marinara sauce for pepper lovers!  It is also pretty intensely flavored with the natural sweetness of red peppers.  For a more pungent flavor, use Asiago cheese instead of the every day, over-used Parmigiana-Regiano cheese.  But if you prefer a more mild cheese, than use the Parmesan instead.

My husband thinks that this is an “outstanding” marinara sauce, but he was frustrated with the bucatini noodles since he couldn’t ‘suck’ the noodles into his mouth as he does with spaghetti noodles . . . bucatini noodles resemble long, thin tubes with a hole through the entire length of the noodle.  So twirling this noodle is essential to getting it into your mouth!  The name ‘bucatini’ originates from the Italian word ‘buco’ which means “hole”, and ‘bucato’ means “pierced”.

Bucatini noodles are particularly common in Rome and throughout the Italian provence of Lazio.  These have a fun and different pasta noodle shape, and not easily found in American grocery stores.  You can find them on-line from Italian food merchants or in Italian specialty food stores in larger cities.  But you can use any pasta shape that you prefer.

This recipe is similar to the infamously popular Bucatini all’Amatriciana” in that a tomato-based sauce is used with the heat of red pepper flakes (pepperoncino), but it differs in that roasted red peppers are incorporated instead of pancetta and the use of asiago instead of pecorino romano cheese.  Both are delicioso!

Bucatini with Roasted Sweet Red Pepper Sauce

2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 – 4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup)
1 large garden-fresh red pepper, roasted and cut into chunks
2 cups canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes (Cento is a good brand)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (pepperoncino)
1/2 lb. dry bucatini pasta noodles
1/4 cup garden-fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup garden-fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup grated fresh Asiago cheese

In a large frying pan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Do not burn the garlic; stir constantly.
Add the roasted red pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
Cook on a low simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the basil and Italian parsley and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, have a tall pot of water boiling and cook the bucatini noodles for no more than 6 minutes, to ‘al dente’ (to the tooth).

Plate the pasta noodles on warmed plates.
Ladle a generous scoop or two on top of the pasta.
Sprinkle with Asiago cheese or pass around to your guests.

after sautéing onion and garlic, add the roasted red pepper
red peppers, tomatoes and herbs simmering on the stove

Mangia!

share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest9Google+0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

Your crepe myrtle blooms are stunning and this delicious looking dish has made think about planning lunch. Roz I have left a message on your About Me Page in response to your last comment on News From Italy. :)

Lynn,
    Yes, this sauce is really yummy. And my husband who doesn’t like anything without meat in it, really enjoyed it and that was all I had to know! If he liked it, it had to be good!

Ciao Claudia from Rome! Benevenuto mia blog! Si, sì, so che questa ricetta è romano! Sarò a Roma a metà ottobre e provare la famosa ricetta bucatini. Io venire al blog ora a farvi visita! Baci a voi il mio nuovo amico!
    Rosalinda

Ti capisco benissimo anche se mi scrivi in inglese, ma sei stata molto carina a mettermi la traduzione!!!!!In Italia farai una bella vacanza! baci baci

I understand very well if you write in English, but you’ve been very nice to get the translation!! In Italy you will make a great vacation! kisses kisses :-D

Hester, Asiago is a very popular Italian cheese lately, especially at Panera Bread Co. where they sell out of their asiago bagels and bread loaves!

Hi Roz, Grilled sweet peppers are my newest addiction! Bet that sauce was awesome, especially over bucatini. I serve those on Christmas Eve with seafood. Not everyone agrees but they are one of my favorites.

Have a Blessed week my friend

Roz this looks and sounds delicious, what a ‘different’ marinara sauce! Bucatini is one of my favourite pasta shapes, the texture is so different from the spaghetti shape. Unfortunately, this pasta shape is not easy to find in London (Amatriciana is a CLASSIC Roman dish! I miss it!!). Adding Asiago to a pasta dish??? I’ve to give it a go. Good new cooking ideas Roz. Thanks.

Jessica, I love roasted red peppers and really even non-roasted red peppers! But why buy in a jar from the store when you can do this so easily at home! No preservatives either!

Linda, I just love bucatini now, but alas, my husband says ‘no more’, he’s a traditionalist extraordinaire! I know that I’ll love Rome!

Rita, bucatini is difficult to find in the states. I had to order these from an Italian merchant on-line. Asiago is more tangy and pungent than Pecorino-Romano so be careful using it. It is quite popular in the States and really quite trendy in fact.

very creative use of fresh peppers. to try… and what a lovely blog you have here. particularly appreciate the effort you made in finding Italian sources. thank you for stopping by and for the kind words. will be following you.

My boyfriend is a HUGE red pepper lover (and so am I) so I’m definitley going to have to make this for him! I know it’ll be a new favorite pasta sauce!

Hi Italian Smorgasbord and WELCOME! I appreciate your thoughts on the types of recipes and Italian-orientation of the blog! Ciao!

Hi Cathy, I love it when you stop by! Your opinion really matters to me! You’re right, bucatini is hard to find. I think the noodles are fun!