Home-Made Chicken Pasta Noodle Soup

“Oh the weather outside is frightful”  . . . NOT!

It’s 70 degrees here today on the 8th of December!

“and my dear, you’re so delightful” . . . NOT!

My dear husband is sick with a horrible cold.  Yes, he’s still as delightful as one can be when one is sick.

Singing the rest of this Christmas song might have brought a ‘slight’ smile to my congested and stuffy-headed husband, but for a little physical assistance, I knew that it would be better if I helped nurse his head and chest cold with some humble home-made chicken broth and wonderful pasta noodles that I brought home from Italy.

Plus, I don’t have a great voice for singing!

As they say in the old wives’s tale, eat chicken soup to help cure the common cold.

Whether there is any truth to that wisdom or not, I know that chicken soup certainly helps ‘mentally’ when a loved one is under the weather.

I picked up this package ofSpaghetti Tagliatiwhile on the Amalfi Coast this past October because I felt that this pasta shape closely represented the pasta shape for chicken soup that Americans are accustomed to purchasing in the market for ‘package-ready-made’ chicken soup (i.e:  Lipton’s).
The recipe for homemade chicken broth follows, but in general, fill up a HUGE pot of water and insert lots of fresh onions, carrots, celery, and Italian parsley. Then add . . .
a really good cut-up chicken (see recipe link below)
and beef (if you like) to the veggie-filled water
after several hours of cooking on low heat, STRAIN all of the meat and veggies into a strainer and then filter several times through a light, paper-thin tea towel to remove (what we call) the ‘gunk’ out of the broth in order to make it clean, clear and pure broth!
Refrigerate the chicken broth overnight.  The fat will rise to the top and harden.
The next day, remove the hardened fat and discard.
This is the beautiful result that you will have!
This DOES NOT take a lot of work and is so worth it!
While you’re blogging, or reading a foodie magazine or watching a favorite foodie TV show, get this broth going on the stove, freeze it, and have it on hand for whenever you might need it!
Home-made chicken broth TOTALLY outshines store-bought chicken broth!
And now here’s the link to my post in 2009 for a complete step-by-step tutorial on making homemade “brodo di pollo” (chicken broth).  I hope you enjoy my family chicken broth recipe (click the link) that has been passed down through many generations!
Once you have made and/or frozen your chicken broth,
either use the freshly made broth or heat up the frozen broth on the stove
add your favorite pasta or tortellini and
cook until ‘al dente’ and no longer
while the pasta is cooking,
grind some fresh Parmigiana-Regiano cheese
to sprinkle on top of your soup!
Never use the pre-packaged, canned varieties of Parmesan sold in stores!
Freshly ground Parmigiana cheese makes such a noticeable difference!
Sprinkle the freshly grated Parmigiana on your hot chicken noodle/pasta soup!
and enjoy !!!!
Wishing you a healthy and Merry Christmas season!
And if any of your loved ones happen to catch a bad cold,
this delicious soup will help them so that they too can better enjoy the festivities of this wonderful holiday!!
share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest3Google+5Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

When my daughter was young she would have nothing to do with any type of soup other than Liptons chicken noodle. Although the noodles look the same I know this takes nothing iike it Roz!

Val, when my mother was in a ‘pinch’, and did not have home-made chicken broth on hand, she always used Lipton’s chicken noodle soup. When I saw this pasta in italy, I KNEW that I had to buy it for those days when we needed chicken noodle soup! I’m so glad that you’re back and can’t wait to hear more about your wonderful journey to Italy!

Merry Christmas, Val!

Roz

Oh Roz, growing up, Monday night was soup night! (Except late June to Labor day cause it was too hot for soup!). This is how my mother made chicken soup. Once in a while she would add a canned tomato (just one or two) smashed with a folk “for color”. I love it with noodle or tubetti or bows or even rice. I wish I had some now, late as it is. Have to make some, missing a few key ingredients, like the chicken. xo

• says

Barbara, I just love the idea of Monday being ‘soup night’! How much healthier we would all be! I love that your mother is like mine in that she made the same chicken soup, no matter what pasta noodle she included . . . it is always wonderful . . . especially for the SOUL!

Be well, my dear friend,
      Roz

I completely and TOTALLY agree with EVERYTHING that you said! Chicken soup does cure a great deal of ills and I DO HOPE that my husband does NOT share with anyone! You are so sweet and oh so smart!

I have a sick son right now too. Lots of colds going on around here. I love the noodles you use in your soup and I always find a way to get a little parmesan into almost all of my soups. Hope he gets well soon.

Roz I tell you in italian … buonissimo il tuo brodo! You make it very well!
    Sure you husband is now feeling better, chicken soup is a “toccasana”…
    Ciao!

We’re healthy here, but I’d still love a bowl of your soup! I love the idea of adding beef…I’ll have to check out your recipes. Get well wishes to your hubby (and fingers crossed you stay healthy). Did your dad make it home? xo

I have been sick all week and just finished the last of my homemade turkey broth that was tucked away in the freezer. I’m so glad I had it. yes, those noodles do remind me of that lipton’s dry chicken soup mix. i can hardly believe I used to eat that stuff. yes, you’re so right about the parmesan cheese too.

With your golden remedy of chicken noodle soup à la Italiano, I trust your husband will be well in no time.
    And I know you are a great cook… For Japanese soup stock – dashi – the finest cooks always strain their broth through
    a cloth as well to ensure all fish flakes are separated from the pure soup.
    =)

i was the looking for the same and related info, what you describe on your article. And found you through google search. Its helps me a lots and i understood that you are one of skill article writer/ blogger. I have book marked your blog and hope to visit again to learn more. Thanks for your valuable efforts and time.

11. Virgil Williams says

Found you while trolling Google and Ask! for soup and apple pie/tart recipes. I’ve always been a pushover for la cucina italiana, so this was a natural stop, I guess. I have a question: isn’t spaghetti tagliati essentially spaghatini that have been chopped up into uniform lengths? That’s certainly the what the pieces look like inside the Divella package. (In the Gulf, where I lived until just recently, I used Divella pasta most of the time, though I don’t think I’ve ever seen this particular type there.) I guess it could be based on very small linguini, too, but they don’t really look flat enough. Mi piace molto il tuo blog, e ritornerò sicuramente.