Bananas and Nutella may sound weird to some, but the combo is simply incredible and irresistable once you try it. I love this marriage of fruit and chocolate-hazelnut so much that I am exceptionally good at tricking my brain into thinking that I’m really eating something healthy when I indulge in a half of a banana dipped straight into a jar of Nutella. Just who am I kidding?
But since today is World Nutella Day, I knew that I had to make our favorite dessert panini to celebrate the event and that highlights this favorite Nutella combination!
What makes these somewhat ordinary sounding dessert panini extra sweet and special is that they are grilled in a pool of butter, cinnamon and sugar, then sprinkled with chopped macadamia nuts, and dusted with powdered sugar. Now that’s a sweet treat!
I bet you can’t eat just one bite!
And I bet you’ll have a messy face . . . but messy with a big smile on your face!
- 1-1/2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar mixed together with 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced 1/4" thick
- 4 - 8 slices Ciabatta or Italian bread (depending on how many panini you want)
- 1 small jar of Nutella chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts (or hazelnuts)
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Whole strawberries, for serving
- Heat panini griddle to medium-high or large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Place the butter on the griddle to melt (do not use all of the butter if doing this in batches).
- Spread some soft butter on the outer sides of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle both sides of the bread slices with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place bread slices on the grill and cook for a few seconds so that the cinnamon sugar adheres to the bread (do not press the panini pressing top down while doing this).
- Flip over and do the same for the opposite side of the bread.
- Spread each slice of bread with Nutella, as thick as you like.
- Place a layer of sliced bananas on top of the layer of Nutella.
- Sprinkle with hazelnuts
- Grill until the bread is golden brown on each side and the Nutella is melted.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar.
- Sprinkle with more chopped macadamia nuts for pizazz.
- Serve warm immediately with strawberries on the side.
If you enjoy Nutella recipes, here is another yummy one that you might like: