Bananas and Nutella may sound weird to some, but the combo is simply incredible and irresistable once you try it. I love this marriage of fruit and chocolate-hazelnut so much that I am exceptionally good at tricking my brain into thinking that I’m really eating something healthy when I indulge in a half of a banana dipped straight into a jar of Nutella. Just who am I kidding?
What makes these somewhat ordinary sounding dessert panini extra sweet and special is that they are grilled in a pool of butter, cinnamon and sugar, then sprinkled with chopped macadamia nuts, and dusted with powdered sugar. Now that’s a sweet treat!
I bet you can’t eat just one bite!
And I bet you’ll have a messy face . . . but messy with a big smile on your face!
- 1-1/2 sticks of butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar mixed together with 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced ¼" thick
- 4 - 8 slices Ciabatta or Italian bread (depending on how many panini you want)
- 1 small jar of Nutella chocolate-hazelnut spread
- ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts (or hazelnuts)
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Whole strawberries, for serving
- Heat panini griddle to medium-high or large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Place the butter on the griddle to melt (do not use all of the butter if doing this in batches).
- Spread some soft butter on the outer sides of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle both sides of the bread slices with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place bread slices on the grill and cook for a few seconds so that the cinnamon sugar adheres to the bread (do not press the panini pressing top down while doing this).
- Flip over and do the same for the opposite side of the bread.
- Spread each slice of bread with Nutella, as thick as you like.
- Place a layer of sliced bananas on top of the layer of Nutella.
- Sprinkle with hazelnuts
- Grill until the bread is golden brown on each side and the Nutella is melted.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar.
- Sprinkle with more chopped macadamia nuts for pizazz.
- Serve warm immediately with strawberries on the side.
If you enjoy Nutella recipes, here is another yummy one that you might like: