My mother has been preparing the most kick-butt-awesome Salisbury Steak with an Italian twist for years . . . (translation: lots of garlic!) and I just had to make it tonight. Oh my goodness, this recipe just never fails to deliver a mouthful of flavors that you simply can’t stop eating! Porcini mushrooms in a savory, golden mushroom sauce poured over beef patties (and in this version of her recipe I also added ground turkey) filled with green peppers, onions, sauteed mushrooms and garlic: Heavenly!
This time I made it with half ground turkey to try and make it healthier . . . you’d never know this was added! I swear!
I also added Porcini mushrooms along with already required baby portabello mushrooms. Using the broth from reconsituting the dried Porcini mushrooms enhances this incredible flavor to another level! SO GOOD!
If it is still a typically cold or chilly March day where you live, you’ll love what my husband describes as “perfect comfort food”.
You won’t be disappointed with this entree . . . pinkie promise!
Below this recipe, you will find step-by-step photo instructions
Salisbury Steak with Porcini Mushrooms
Write a review
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz. porcini mushrooms, dried (you will reconstitute them in hot water)
- 2 small containers of fresh baby portabello mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jumbo egg
- 1 jumbo egg white
- 3/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 4 cans (10-3/4 oz.) golden mushroom soup
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 can low-salt beef broth plus 1 Tbsp. beef bouillon (“Better Than Bouillon” paste in a jar)
- Garnish: 1/2 cup Italian parsley, minced
- In hot water, place the dried porcini mushrooms to reconstitute.
- Do NOT throw away the darkened water after they are soft . . . this is full of flavor stuff!
- In a large skillet, cook the onion in olive oil until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- In the same large skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and about 4 – 6 Tbsp. of the porcini mushroom water.
- Saute both the Porcini mushrooms and the baby portabello mushrooms for about 5 - 10 minutes until browned . . . adding more Porcini mushroom water as needed to keep them moist.
- Add the Italian parsley to the mushrooms and saute for one more minute.
- Add two cloves of minced garlic and saute for a few more minutes.
- Remove the cooked mushrooms, parsley and garlic from the skillet and place HALF of them on a cutting board. Set aside the other half of mushroom mixture (for the sauce).
- Chop up the one half of mushroom/parsley/garlic mixture.
- In a large bowl mix the following: ground beef, ground turkey, egg, egg white, bread crumbs, half of the browned, chopped onions, chopped green pepper, and the mushroom mixture you just chopped up (leaving the other half for the sauce!)
- Mix together very well.
- Form large patties of this beef/turkey/mushroom mixture.
- In a separate medium size bowl, mix the golden mushroom soup, beef broth mixed with the beef bouillon, one half of the sauteed onions and dried onion soup mix.
- Blend well and set aside.
- Place in the large skillet with the remaining unchopped mushroom mixture around the outsides of the skillet.
- Place the meat patties in the center of the skillet to brown thoroughly on both sides on medium to low heat.
- Remove the browned patties and the mushroom mixture; place in a large baking dish that will go to in the oven.
- Pour the golden mushroom soup mixture all over the meat patties and the sauteed mushroom mixture.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with garlic mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped Italian parsley.
La Bella Vita Cucina http://www.italianbellavita.com/
reconstitute the dried porcini mushrooms in hot water . . . save the broth!
chop the Porcini mushrooms
saute’ the onions and divide in half
saute’ the baby portabello mushrooms and the chopped porcini mushrooms
with the chopped garlic,
using about 5 Tbsp. of the porcini mushroom broth
add more broth if the mushrooms get too dry
remove from heat, chop up and add chopped Italian parsley.
divide this mixture in half
while sauteeing the onions, mushrooms and garlic
mix gently the beef, turkey, egg, egg white, bread crumbs
blend in the one half of sauteed onions
and the chopped green pepper
mix in half of the sauteed mushroom mixture
in the large skillet, spread the other half of the
mushroom mixture and the other half of the sauteed onions
along the outside of the large skillet
form the meat mixture into large patties
place in the center of the skillet
brown the patties nicely on both sides
try to flip them over only once
remove the browned patties and place in an oven baking dish,
layer the mushroom/onion mixture all around the browned patties
mix the golden mushroom soup with the beef broth and bouillon
add in the dry onion soup mix,
pour over the patties and mushrooms
Bake in 400 F degree oven for about 20 minutes
Serve over garlic mashed potatoes
Garnish with chopped Italian parsley