Is it cold enough for you lately? Did you feel THE.EARTHQUAKE.FRIDAY.NIGHT? Are you snowed in like those of us were this past week in the Southeastern U.S.?
If so, here’s a super easy-peasy Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup that will have you eating it straight out of the pot! Comfort food just doesn’t get any better than this. And if you’re not chilled to the bone like most of us are this winter, you’ll STILL love this fantastic soup!
This chunky soup is totally hearty and chock-full of chicken, vegetables, and thick egg noodles. Good for the soul too!
We like creamy soups just as much as broth-y soups, and this soup can be prepared with or without milk, whichever you prefer . . . both have tremendous flavor!
One of the tricks to making homemade soup is to make and freeze chicken broth ahead of time. With that done, all you have to do is take the broth out of the freezer to thaw, pour it into a tall pot, add the ingredients, and cook for no more than a half an hour. Here’s the link to my recipe for chicken broth –> Homemade Chicken Broth.
A second tip: when you make your own chicken broth, chop up the chicken that you used to make the broth and freeze it as well! Thaw it out while you’re thawing out the broth. You can also purchase an inexpensive baked chicken in most grocery stores too.
Easy, delicious and healthy! Minimal fat is consumed in this soup, that is unless you devour the entire pot of soup!
I’ve also shared a few photos below of what the Carolina’s experienced after this unusual winter snowstorm. It sure was beautiful though!
ENJOY and stay warm and safe!
- 1 gallon homemade chicken broth (see note below)
- 4 cups of cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped into ½" pieces, do not mince
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 cups of sliced carrots
- 2 cups of sliced celery, included leaves
- 1 cup of Italian parsley, minced
- 2 cups of frozen green peas
- ½ to 1 bag of thick egg noodles (I use Reeme's brand)
- 4 cups whole milk (more if you like your soup less thick)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillion (I use Better Than Bouillion brand)
- Heat the chicken broth on low to medium heat.
- Saute' mushrooms in the butter.
- While mushrooms are sautéing, add the diced chicken to the chicken broth.
- Add the carrots, celery, Italian parsley.
- Add the mushrooms after sautéing.
- Add the sage, thyme, bouillon, and pepper.
- In a container with lid, mix 1 cup milk with ½ cup flour; tightly attach the lid and shake thoroughly.
- Add this milk/flour mixture to the pot.
- Add the rest of the milk (use more milk if you like it less thick).
- Add the egg noodles.
- Add the green peas.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium high until the noodles are cooked to your texture preference (we like our noodles with a little 'bite' to them, 'al dente').
Here are some more delicious soup recipes to keep your bones warm!