Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto

panini

I love easy recipes . . . especially when the weather is so beautiful outside where I spend most of my entire day.  Long, complicated, and more involved recipes just don’t cut the mustard when I’m outside gardening, as I was today.

So this week here’s an recipe for “5 Ingredients or Less” which means that I’ll probably have something prepared in less than 15 minutes after going back inside of our house at 5:00 to feed the dogs!

A simple dinner is done and yet still delicious!

“Say what?” is what you’re thinking.  Panini my friends, PANINI!

Just look in your pantry and frig for your favorite sandwich or pizza/calzone ingredients, put them together and then slap them on that panini grill . . . done in 5 – 10 minutes flat!

The panini that I prepared was concocted from exactly what I had on hand.  Hating to waste anything, here are the five “on-hand” ingredients for Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto:

• Italian bread
  • Smoked turkey slices
  • Roasted Red Peppers (from my freezer from last summer’s garden) Click on link for how to roast your own red peppers Roasting Red Peppers
  • 5-cheese Italian cheese blend (comes in a plastic bag in the dairy section)
  • Basil Pesto (from my freezer again from last summer’s garden) Click on link for how to make your own pesto Fresh Basil Pesto

.As I said above, I was in our gardens today.    Gardening may be considered to be hard work to some, but to us it is so rewarding!   Not to forget mentioning having produce that is pure with no additives, and super fresh and flavorful!   It’s easy to get addicted to the whole gardening process and the results very quickly!  And as you can see from the ingredients, you’re able to put up, can, and/or freeze your own fruits and veggies .  .  .  and then enjoy the fruits of your labor throughout the entire year until the next year’s planting time!

panini
layers of red peppers, oozing cheese, smoked turkey and basil pesto!

Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto

What You Need:

• Italian bread, sliced thick
  • Smoked turkey slices
  • Roasted Red Peppers (from my freezer from last summer's garden)
  • 5-cheese Italian cheese blend, shredded (comes in a plastic bag in the regular cheese and dairy section)
  • Basil Pesto (from my freezer again from last summer's garden)

Instructions

• Heat up a panini press or griddle pan.
  • Lay out the bread slices.
  • Lather one side of each panini with basil pesto.
  • Layer lots of smoked turkey on top of pesto.
  • Spread lots of shredded Italian cheeses on top of turkey.
  • Place in microwave for 2 - 3 minutes to insure that the turkey is heated through and the cheese melts.
  • Place a thick layer of roasted red peppers on top of melted cheese.
  • Place a slice of bread on top.
  • Spray the panini press with olive oil spray.
  • Carefully shut the panini press down.
  • Grill for 5 minutes or until bread is golden brown.

panini

I apologize for asking you to verify yourself with "Captcha", but SPAM has gotten out of control.

I WILL reply both on your blog and here! After all, that's what good friends do!

Comments

That is one gorgeous sandwich especially with the color of the peppers. It’s always better when you can use your own home-grown stuff – do you have room for a turkey pen? :-)
    Larry recently posted..Small BusinessesMy Profile

What a great looking sandwich!! The pesto is a great side for dipping the sandwich in. There really is nothing like a great sandwich!!! Blessings dear. Catherine xo

3. Bea says

Yes, easy is best especially when you can spend time outside. Your panini just looks and sounds like the perfect meal!

This looks so wonderful, Roz! I wish I had one right now. I love all the different flavors you put together in this sandwich. And what a bonus that it is so quick to make. I have a question. Do you think it is worth it to buy a Panini maker? I would kind of like to get one, but don’t have a lot of storage in my kitchen. How great that you got to use fresh ingredients from your garden. I just picked my first tomato yesterday, and my first zucchini from our garden today. So exciting!:)
    Shari Kelley recently posted..Butterfly WonderlandMy Profile

• says

Hey Shari, As Scarlett O’Hara said “I’m just pea-green with envy” that you picked your first tomato and zucchini yesterday . . . yay for Arizona!!! Weird that I just dreamt about Tucson and Scottsdale last night! Seriously! To answer your question, Shari, if you make a lot of grilled ‘anything’, I’d recommend getting a panini maker. Ours is the second to last model of Cuisinart in which the griddle opens up flat and you can grill anything on it, The griddle removes as well and then you have a flat surface if you want to make pancakes. A panini maker is something that I always wanted so my kids gave it to me for Christmas one year and now each of them have one too. If you get one, let me know what you think!

• says

Thank you so much for answering my question about the Panini maker. I think I would like to get one. I like the idea that with yours you can grill anything on it, and also use it as a griddle. 3 appliances in one! Then in the summer when it is 120 outside I could grill inside!:) I will be sure to let you know if I get one. I saw that you are going to Italy soon, and can’t wait to follow you on Instagram!
        Shari Kelley recently posted..Owls and Bunnies and Snakes, Oh My! – Sonoran Preserve Hiking AreaMy Profile

You are right, gardening is definitely a lot of work but so worth it! This year I find myself looking forward to tending to our plants and it has been a frustrating year. I think my gardening addiction grows with each passing year. I was just wondering how I could possibly freeze red peppers so I am happy to find this post and the post about roasting red peppers and freezing them! Sorry for the run on sentence but I am excited.

This panini made me stop and think why I don’t make these more often? Especially with red peppers. :)

• says

Dionne,
      You can click on the link in this blog post to ‘roasting red peppers’ and see that all you do to freeze red peppers is place them in zip-lock freezer baggies, put the date on them and that’s it . . . totally easy! Even several years later, the flavor is still there, just drain any liquid that may have built up and froze along with the peppers.
      Thanks for your visit. I’ll stop by and leave this same message to you there in case you don’t get this one here!
      Roz
      Roz recently posted..Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto #SundaySupperMy Profile

Trackbacks