I love easy recipes . . . especially when the weather is so beautiful outside where I spend most of my entire day. Long, complicated, and more involved recipes just don’t cut the mustard when I’m outside gardening, as I was today.
So this week here’s an recipe for “5 Ingredients or Less” which means that I’ll probably have something prepared in less than 15 minutes after going back inside of our house at 5:00 to feed the dogs!
A simple dinner is done and yet still delicious!
“Say what?” is what you’re thinking. Panini my friends, PANINI!
Just look in your pantry and frig for your favorite sandwich or pizza/calzone ingredients, put them together and then slap them on that panini grill . . . done in 5 – 10 minutes flat!
The panini that I prepared was concocted from exactly what I had on hand. Hating to waste anything, here are the five “on-hand” ingredients for Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto:
- Italian bread
- Smoked turkey slices
- Roasted Red Peppers (from my freezer from last summer’s garden) Click on link for how to roast your own red peppers Roasting Red Peppers
- 5-cheese Italian cheese blend (comes in a plastic bag in the dairy section)
- Basil Pesto (from my freezer again from last summer’s garden) Click on link for how to make your own pesto Fresh Basil Pesto
.As I said above, I was in our gardens today. Gardening may be considered to be hard work to some, but to us it is so rewarding! Not to forget mentioning having produce that is pure with no additives, and super fresh and flavorful! It’s easy to get addicted to the whole gardening process and the results very quickly! And as you can see from the ingredients, you’re able to put up, can, and/or freeze your own fruits and veggies . . . and then enjoy the fruits of your labor throughout the entire year until the next year’s planting time!
- Italian bread, sliced thick
- Smoked turkey slices
- Roasted Red Peppers (from my freezer from last summer's garden)
- 5-cheese Italian cheese blend, shredded (comes in a plastic bag in the regular cheese and dairy section)
- Basil Pesto (from my freezer again from last summer's garden)
- Heat up a panini press or griddle pan.
- Lay out the bread slices.
- Lather one side of each panini with basil pesto.
- Layer lots of smoked turkey on top of pesto.
- Spread lots of shredded Italian cheeses on top of turkey.
- Place in microwave for 2 - 3 minutes to insure that the turkey is heated through and the cheese melts.
- Place a thick layer of roasted red peppers on top of melted cheese.
- Place a slice of bread on top.
- Spray the panini press with olive oil spray.
- Carefully shut the panini press down.
- Grill for 5 minutes or until bread is golden brown.