Time to prepare something for an Autumn Harvest” theme. I found an interesting recipe from Nigella Lawson and tweaked it to make my own version of an Autumn Harvest Spinach Salad with Pears, Cranberries, and Pumpkin Seeds. I just LOVE spinach salad and always serve it for special occasions and holidays. Since I’ve never made this particular recipe, I decided to give it a go. As usual, I made some changes for my own creativity by adding sliced pears, dried cranberries, and used a cranberry balsamic vinaigrette instead. These additions truly made this salad more representative of autumn fare!
- 2 packages of baby spinach leaves
- pumpkin seeds
- 2 sliced pears with peels (my addition)
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed
- dried cranberries (my addition)
- Cranberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 – 3 Tbsp cranberries
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth. Adjust ingredients by adding what you prefer
Here’s what you need to do to prepare the salad
- Gently wash the spinach leaves with water and gently pat dry with a towel.
- Add the avocado to the spinach.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds in the spinach.Add dried cranberries to your desired amounts.
- Gently toss together well.
- Place on individual salad plates and place several slices of the pears on top.
- Add more cranberries or pumpkin seeds if desired.
- Either add the vinaigrette and toss lightly all of the ingredients again or pass the vinaigrette around in a pretty bowl or small pitcher for your guests to add their own dressing.