- 6 cups chicken broth (I make and freeze my own chicken broth, so I always have some on hand ~ recipe posted on 11/25/09, click here)
- 1 2-inch piece of Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 cup pastina (any tiny, tiny pasta shape)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken, preferably breast meat (optional, my family does not include)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large stockpot, bring the chicken broth (preferably home-made) and Parmesan rind to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the tiny pastina noodles and cook until the pasta is tender for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken if using, and heat through about 3 minutes.
- Remove the Parmesan rind and discard.
- Stir in 1/2 of the cheese.
- Season with sea salt to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, if desired.
- Serve with warm, crusty Italian bread for sopping up any extra broth.