- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 20 – 30 homemade ravioli OR a 20-oz. bag of frozen ravioli (homemade is much better)
- 2 quarts of homemade marinara sauce OR 2 large jars of store-bought marinara sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon of dry Italian seasonings (oregano, sage, rosemary, basil blend)
- 8 oz. container of ricotta cheese
- 1 jumbo egg
- 4 Tbsp. freshly grated parmigiana-reggiano cheese OR pecorino
- 2 balls of soft mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Pour the olive oil in a large, heavy pot and warm it on a medium heat stovetop.
- Add garlic to the hot oil and cook for one minute; do not burn.
- Add the marinara sauce.
- Add the Italian seasonings.
- Mix well and heat thoroughly.
While the sauce is warming up, prepare the cheese filling
- Whisk together the ricotta cheese, egg, and parmigiana cheese.
- Whisk in the basil.
- Fill a tall pot of water about 2/3rds full and bring the water to a boil. Throw in about a teaspoon of salt.
- Add the ravioli. If it is frozen then cook for 5 minutes and no more; you want it to be al dente!
- If you are using freshly made ravioli, do not boil it all, but use directly into the baked ravioli.
Assemble the Baked Ravioli
- Layer some of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Gently place a layer of the ravioli on top of the sauce.
- Pour another layer of marinara sauce on top of the ravioli.
- Pour the ricotta/egg/cheese mixture over the marinara sauce.
- Gently place a second layer of the ravioli on top of the cheese mixture.
- Pour the last of the sauce on top of the ravioli.
- Place all of the mozzarella slices on top; use finely grated mozzarella cheese if you don’t have the soft balls.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes on the lowest rack of the oven.
- Half-way through the baking, check to see if the cheese is getting too dark.
- If so place a baking sheet above the ravioli bake on the oven rack above OR lightly cover with aluminum foil; you don’t want the cheese to burn.
- I made this with my family’s homemade ravioli and homemade marinara sauce. You can use store-bought jars of marinara sauce as well as pre-made ravioli if you are in a hurry and don’t have time to make either.