The other day, I stopped and picked up a pretty good chicken salad croissant sandwich for lunch from a local gourmet grocery store . . . you know the kind of food store that has the most beautiful readily-prepared foods displayed inside and in front of glass food cases. Foods so gorgeous that they could easily be in a glossy, high-end food magazine or blog!
Well, the sandwich wasn’t too bad, really. It certainly satisfied my tummy. Yet to me it lacked some major taste factors to make the sandwich better than great . . . to make it a ‘wow’ chicken salad (whether in a sandwich or salad alone).
Some of you are probably thinking that here we are in the autumn, pre-holiday season, and so why am I making a simple chicken salad sandwich/salad at this time of year when we celebrate pumpkin, squash, and sweet potatoes in our recipes?
Simply because I love chicken salad, and it doesn’t matter what time of year it is to enjoy this traditionally loved sandwich or salad. However, in the spirit of the season, I added dried cranberries and used red onion instead of yellow or scallions . . . just to match the changing colors of autumn.
Here’s the result of my testing and re-testing the perfect Autumn Chicken Salad with Dried Cranberries and Grapes to share with you.
I hope that you enjoy this little twist and tribute to autumn in an old classic! And I know that you’ll definitely taste some great flavors in this recipe!
PS: I just wanted to give a BIG shout-out thank you to Larry and Bev over at “Big Dude’s Eclectic Ramblings” for their culinary approval of this recipe who also prepared it substituting dried blueberries for dried cranberries (both are great additions). Do stop by this incredible blog that I guarantee will always inspire you and have you leaving very hungry (especially for breakfast!).
Please kindly share the love and pin this vertical image!
We so appreciate it!
- 2-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup halved green grapes (red would be even prettier for the season)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 1/2 cup heavy whipped cream (whipped until soft peaks form)
- 1 tablespoon freshly diced Italian parsley
- (use any or all of the following seasonings to your taste preference)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon or dill
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. curry powder (if desired, optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Italian parsley
- large tomatoes
- lettuce varieties of choice
- Combine the first dry ingredients in one large bowl.
- In another medium sized bowl, blend the mayonnaise, whipped cream, and spices.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the chicken and other ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Cut out large tomatoes.
- Lay tomatoes on bed of lettuce, or inside a half head of iceburg lettuce.
- Place the chicken salad inside the tomatoes and around the lettuce.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Garnish with sprigs of Italian parsley.
Enjoy this Autumn Chicken Salad with Dried Cranberries and Grapes