Is it cold enough for you lately? Have you received some snow by now? Are you bundling up in front of a warm and cozy fire just like we are in my neck of the woods?
If so, then you’re needing some rib-sticking comfort food. And nothing can satisfy the soul during these chilly wintery days than good old-fashioned chicken soup! Here’s a super easy-peasy Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup that will have you eating it straight out of the pot! Comfort food just doesn’t get any better than this. And if you’re not chilled to the bone like most of us are during winter, you’ll STILL love this fantastic soup!
This chunky soup is totally hearty and chock-full of chicken, vegetables, and thick egg noodles. So good for the soul to help you feel all warm inside!
We like creamy soups just as much as broth-y soups, and this soup can be prepared with or without milk, whichever you prefer . . . both have tremendous flavor!
One of the tricks to making homemade soup is to make and freeze chicken broth ahead of time. With that done, all you have to do is take the broth out of the freezer to thaw, pour it into a tall pot, add the ingredients, and cook for no more than half an hour. Here’s the link to my recipe for chicken broth –> Homemade Chicken Broth.
A second tip: when you make your own chicken broth, chop up the chicken that you used to make the broth and freeze it as well! Thaw it out while you’re thawing out the broth or just throw it in the pot and it will thaw out in the hot soup. You’re ready to go! You can also purchase an inexpensive baked chicken in most grocery stores too.
Easy, delicious and healthy! Minimal fat is consumed in this soup, that is unless you devour the entire pot of soup that you will be tempted to do!
I’ve also shared a few photos below of what the Carolina’s experienced after this unusual winter snowstorm. It sure was beautiful though!
ENJOY and stay warm and safe!
- 1 gallon homemade chicken broth (see note below)
- 4 cups of cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped into ½" pieces, do not mince
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 cups of sliced carrots
- 2 cups of sliced celery, included leaves
- 1 cup of Italian parsley, minced
- 2 cups of frozen green peas
- ½ to 1 bag of thick egg noodles (I use Reeme's brand)
- 4 cups whole milk (more if you like your soup less thick)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillion (I use Better Than Bouillion brand)
- Heat the chicken broth on low to medium heat.
- Saute' mushrooms in the butter.
- While mushrooms are sautéing, add the diced chicken to the chicken broth.
- Add the carrots, celery, Italian parsley.
- Add the mushrooms after sautéing.
- Add the sage, thyme, bouillon, and pepper.
- In a container with lid, mix 1 cup milk with ½ cup flour; tightly attach the lid and shake thoroughly.
- Add this milk/flour mixture to the pot.
- Add the rest of the milk (use more milk if you like it less thick).
- Add the egg noodles.
- Add the green peas.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium high until the noodles are cooked to your texture preference (we like our noodles with a little 'bite' to them, 'al dente').
The recipe for my homemade chicken broth can be found on my food blog at the following link (please cut and paste the URL into your browser)
Here are some more delicious soup recipes to keep your bones warm!
Do you enjoy La Bella Vita Cucina?
We’d love to have you as part of our community!
Click here: La Bella Vita Cucina to get the latest recipes, travel tips and gardening ideas straight into your inbox!