OK, I do realize that it is NOT yet Christmas! But all of the radio stations have been piping out holiday songs and jingles this week and several TV networks have aired holiday commercials. Although I’m not in the mood for Christmas, it’s always a GOOD THING to prepare ahead of time for anything, including what you’re going to prepare in only 8 weeks from now!
Here’s how this delicious recipe came into our lives: One year for our Christmas dinner, for whatever reason, I decided to add a more ‘healthy’ fruit salad to the Christmas buffet. Both of my kids were begging me to reduce the quantity and types of food offered. I had no idea that such a huge amount of accolades would result from this humble, simple and easy fruit salad recipe!
Compliments on how delicious the red fruit salad was. My daughter even said, ‘We need to include this salad for every holiday meal. There is so much less guilt involved!”
Even my husband who is so averse to trying something new and different said, “This is pretty darn good, sweetie!” Heavenly words to my ears! And seriously my dear cooking friends, if this guy says a recipe is good, then the recipe is beyond that . . . it is WONDERFUL!
And talk about EASY!
Just rinse clean and slice up your favorite ‘red’ fruits in a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the vinaigrette ingredients, gently mix and that’s it!!! Period. Ready to serve!
I hope you’ll prepare this recipe when everything on your typical Christmas meals is so calorie-ridden! At a time when you need more simple recipes. Plus, you’re serving more healthy options for your holiday guests that tastes fantastic!
Please share the love and pin this vertical image:Print
This salad is so delicious and on top of it, it is amazingly easy to prepare in no time! Lots of your favorite red fruit simply sliced up into a bowl and mixed with a perfect vinaigrette dressing results in a light, healthy and yet flavor-packed salad!
- 1 small container of strawberries
- 1 small container of raspberries
- 20 cherries, pits removed and cut in half
- 1 – 2 cups watermelon cut into 1” chunks
- 1 Red Delicious apple, cut into halves, sliced, and then cut into 1/2” chunks
- 4 very large leaves of fresh basil, sliced very thinly (or chopped)
- 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds (purchase the pre-filled plastic cups in the produce section)
- About 10 red grapes, sliced
- 1/2 red grapefruit, rind removed, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced thinly and then cut again into 1/2” pieces
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. WHITE balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean all fruit and slice.
- Place all clean and sliced fruit in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Adjust amounts of any of these ingredients to satisfy your flavor preferences.
- Garnish with thin slivers of basil.