Lentil soup is a traditional dish that Italians enjoy on New Year’s Eve and/or Day in hopes of bringing greater abundance and prosperity in the coming year. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, crispy Italian bread and a fresh green salad to have a delightful meal!
For this soup to be completely vegetarian, eliminate the pancetta and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. If using Parmesan cheese is not in your diet, then simply eliminate it as well. Know that this delicious soup will taste very different if all of these vitally important flavor enhancing ingredients are left out.
- 1 vegetable bouillion cube
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, stems removed, washed, and minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup freshly minced basil
- 1 small 6-oz. can tomato paste
- (optional) pinch of hot red pepper flakes (peperoncini)
- 1 short sprig fresh rosemary
- (optional) pinch of red pepper flakes
- Serve with: freshly grated Parmigiano cheese, pass around to guests
- Drizzle olive oil into the Instant Pot and set it to ‘SAUTE’. The Instant Pot will take about 5 minutes to pre-heat.
- When the olive oil is hot, add the chopped pancetta and saute’ for 2 minutes.
- Add the soffrito of onions, carrots, and celery. Stir.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions, carrots, and celery are semi-soft, for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off Saute. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, and bouillon cube.
- Set the Instant Pot to ‘SOUP’ and bring everything to a boil.
- Add the lentils, parsley, spinach/escarole, seasonings, and cheese rinds.
- Place the lid on and make sure that the release valve is in the “sealing” position.
- Press the ‘MANUAL’ button and set the time for 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will pre-heat for 10 minutes and then begin to cook.
- After 10 minutes, quick-release by flipping the release value to “VENTING” (a little bit at a time).
- Once venting is complete, remove the lid and stir gently.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste preferences if desired.
- Buon Appetito!
This soup will keep in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.
It’s great for freezing too!
For this soup to be completely vegetarian, eliminate the pancetta and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. If using Parmesan cheese is not in your diet, then simply eliminate it as well. Know that this delicious soup will taste very different if all of these vitally important flavor enhancer ingredients are left out.
Zuppa di Lenticchie ~ This soup is quite easy to prepare, yet hearty enough to be a main course when served with a green salad and some crusty Italian bread. This long-time traditional, classic soup is one of those recipes that every home cook makes in his or her own way. It’s an ancient and essential recipe of boiled lentils that has nourished mankind for thousands of years. Some even say that it’s the first prepared food that we have a written record of from over 4,000 years ago.
Keywords: Instant Pot, Italian, Soup, Lentil