Panettone is a delicious egg-based, Italian bread that is made every Christmas season. It has just the right (small) amount of fruit studded throughout the bread (yet not at all like fruitcake that is wet and almost all fruit). Panettone are such large breads, so this recipe and that of the Cherry Panettone French Toast are fantastic and delicious ways to use any leftovers. Not to mention, both of the Panettone recipes look fancy and as if you worked hard in the kitchen, when in fact, they are super easy to put together!
- 1 Italian panettone (I used cherry for this recipe), prepared as French Toast the day or two before (here’s the recipe: Italian Cherry Panettone French Toast
Egg-Milk Custard Sauce:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1–1/2 cups cream
- 7 – 8 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- mascarpone cream made from the day or two before (recipe here: Mascarpone Cream ) made of mascarpone cheese, sugar, and cream.
- cherry compote made from the day or two before (recipe here: Cherry Compote) made of fresh red cherries, cherry pie filling, almond extract, and sugar
- whipped cream (with sugar added to your taste preferences)
- Prepare the Italian Cherry Panettone French Toast recipe
- Prepare MORE Mascarpone Cream
- Prepare MORE Cherry Compote or use a nice imported Italian Cherry Jam
- Slice the huge French Toast slices in half.
- Spread mascarpone cream on one half.
- Spread cherry compote/jam on the other half.
- Place the mascarpone cream covered slice in a large baking pan, facing up.
- Place the cherry compote/jam covered slice on top of the first toast half, facing down.
- Prepare a second batch of egg-milk-cream-cinnamon-sugar custard sauce mixture with 3 more eggs (it helps solidify the bread pudding).
- Bake in a 350 F degree oven for 1 – 1/2 hours. Cover with foil for the last 30 minutes.
- Allow the bread pudding to rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- Plate each stack of stuffed bread with dollops of cherry compote/jam and whipped cream.
- ENJOY and BUON APPETITO!