For the Bread Pudding
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup whiskey (to soak the raisins)
- 1-½ loaf of day-old Italian, French or ciabatta bread
- 1-½ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 jumbo eggs
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
For the Caramel Whiskey Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- ½ cup whiskey (rum or bourbon)
For The Bread Pudding
- Soak the raisins in 1 cup of whiskey (bourbon or rum) and set overnight.
- Drain the excess whiskey from the raisins the next day.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a large 10 X 13″ baking pan.
- Lay one third of the bread cubes on the bottom of the pan, pack them in; try not to leave any big holes.
- Sprinkle half of the raisins.
- Lay a second layer of bread cubes, again as packed down as possible.
- Sprinkle the other half of the raisins.
- Layer the last third of bread cubes, tightly.
Make The Custard
- In a large mixing bowl, milk, heavy cream, eggs, white and brown sugars, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Blend well with a hand-held mixer.
- Press the bread crumbs down with a flat spatula.
- Pour the custard all over the bread crumbs and raisins, covering thoroughly.
- Let This Sit For 30 – 40 Minutes!
- Bake in a pre-heated oven until the center is cooked, approximately 70 minutes (more if it isn’t firm enough, use aluminum foil on top of the pudding half-way through baking in order to prevent burning).
- While the bread pudding is baking in the oven, make the caramel whiskey sauce.
Prepare Caramel Whiskey Sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and whiskey (bourbon or rum) to make a ‘slurry’ and set aside.d
- In a small saucepan, combine the white and brown sugars, butter, water, and cinnamon.
- Cook until an amber-colored caramel sauce forms, about 10 minutes. Do not boil, set aside. (If the caramel color is not dark enough for you, add about a 1 – 2 tablespoons of molasses.)
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, combine the cream, milk, butter, egg, vanilla extract and ‘slurry’.
- Heat well and then add the caramel mixture.
- Bring the entire caramel whiskey sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 – 10 minutes until nicely thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Serve both the bread pudding and caramel whiskey sauce WARM.
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina