- 2 pints (small baskets) fresh, ripe strawberries, rinsed off, hulled, and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into 1” long pieces
- 1–1/2 cups walnut halves
- 1 large bag of baby spinach
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese (not Feta)
- Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 cup fresh, ripe strawberries that have been cleaned, husked, and sliced
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
Prepare the Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette ahead of time, so that it is ready when you need it:
- Place all ingredients, EXCEPT THE POPPY SEEDS, in a blender, Vitamix, or food processor.
- Puree everything for 15 – 30 seconds. It doesn’t take long at all.
- Taste to see if your preferences require more sugar, salt, and/or pepper. My family prefers a less tart vinaigrette, so we add sugar until it’s just right for us.
- Mix in the poppy seeds.
- Chill until ready to serve.
For the Salad:
- either a large flat serving bowl or arranged on individual salad plates, place all of the spinach leaves (or divide equally among salad plates).
- Place strawberries on top of spinach.
- Place red onion slices all over the top of the strawberries.
- Sprinkle the walnut halves all over.
- Generously sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over the entire salad.
- Pass the dressing around to guests to ladle on individually.
- Buon Appetito!