Tacos are simply one of life’s simplest food pleasures — spicy meat wrapped in a fresh tortilla and topped with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa . . . and whatever you want really! But the taco meat has to be seasoned just right. So skip the store-bought packets and put your own spin on the spice mix! I’m going to share how to make the best batch of homemade taco seasoning to spice up your next batch of tacos!
If you take a peek into your pantry, I’ll bet you a taco or two that you already have the ingredients in your spice rack.
All The Spices You Need Are:
- Garlic Powder (lots more than other recipes call for and makes it twice as good)
- Chili powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Onion Flakes
- Cayenne pepper
- Bouillion granules
- Flour or cornstarch
Just add all the spices in a bowl and simply whisk them all together!
Gather spices . . . measure . . . whisk!
So easy! And less expensive than store-bought commercial brands. Plus you know what’s in your homemade taco seasoning!
Notes on Making Taco Seasoning:
- Use only fresh spices; old spices should always be tossed out.
- This is a salt-free recipe because a low-salt diet is better for us. But add some salt a little at a time if you prefer that.
- Add 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro for even a stronger Mexican essence.
- Add chipotle pepper for more of a smoky flavor.
- Adjust your taco seasoning however you like: spicier, less spicy, etc.)
- Adding flour or cornstarch helps thicken up the sauce of the taco meat as it blends with the taco seasoning.
- You can easily scale this recipe up to double or triple this recipe.
- Store in an airtight container such as a strong zipper storage bag or a small jar.
- Store taco seasoning with your other spices in a dark place away from direct sunlight for up to 1 year AND REMEMBER to use a marker to write the date on the container.
- Taco seasoning can also be used as a rub on grilled meats
PIN FOR LATER!
Things that I Recommend:
- 1 tsp. dried onion flakes or powder
- 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon granules
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. white sugar
- 3/4 tsp. oregano
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the spices.
- Use about 2 teaspoons of seasoning per pound of ground beef.
- Store in an airtight container (zipper plastic bag or small jar with a lid) for up to 1 year.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you enjoy La Bella Vita Cucina?
We’d love to have you as part of our community!
Subscribe below to receive a FREE e-cookbook and get the latest recipes,
travel tips, and gardening ideas straight into your inbox!