Pumpkin Cake :
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (*or see below for substitution)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- For Rolling: 1 cup powdered sugar
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1–1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F (177° C). Spray a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray or spread soft butter all over pan to prevent the parchment paper from sticking. Line the jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so the cake lifts super easily after it’s baked. you can easily lift the cake out after baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large mixing bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and granulated sugar for 1 minute until thick. Add in the vanilla, pumpkin, and brown sugar and whisk until just combined. Fold this mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, and stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared jelly roll pan. Give the pan a little shake or tap to ensure that the batter is evenly level and is spread to each corner of the pan.Bake for 17 to 18 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched with your finger.
- Lay a thin, clean kitchen towel flat on the counter. Sprinkle 3/4 of the powdered sugar thoroughly over the towel.
- Remove the cake from the pan by carefully lifting up the parchment paper and invert the cake out onto the sugar-covered towel with the parchment paper on top. Peel off the parchment paper. Then very slowly, while the cake is STILL WARM and starting with the narrow end, use your hands to roll the cake until it is completely rolled up. Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- Allow the cake to cool completely while still rolled up in the towel for a minimum of 2 hours. While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling.
- Once the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface. Gently and carefully unroll it until it is flat again. Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the cake, leaving a 1/2 – 3/4 inch border on all sides of the cake. Then gently and carefully roll the cake back up tightly, but without the towel.
- Loosely wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes to one hour before slicing and serving. Dust the pumpkin roll with more powdered sugar on all sides.
- Transfer it to your serving dish. Slice and serve.
Make the Pumpkin Cake Roll:
Prepare the Cream Cheese Filling:
1. Whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water. (You want a medium consistency so that the filling is easy to spread, but not too warm or thin that it will ooze out of the cake when you’re rolling it up.)
If you have leftovers, just re-wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.