This is just one of my all-time favorite salads that is famous on the menu at all Ruth’s Chris Steakhouses. The recipe is a copycat and if you ask me, it is the real deal. It is so delicious with the chopped lettuces, hearts of palm, bacon, eggs, blue cheese and the creamy lemon basil dressing! I could eat a gallon at a time! Enjoy!
- 8 packed cups iceberg lettuce, sliced in 1/4″ julienned slices
- 1 packed cup spinach, chopped
- 1 packed cup radicchio, sliced very thin
- 1/3 medium red onion, sliced very thin and then halved
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained, and using just the chunky ends, cut ends into 1/4″ chunks, saving the layered portion of the hearts for another recipe or salad (I added this ingredient and it’s fantastic)
- 1–14 oz.can hearts of palm, drained, and cut into 1/4” chunks
- 6 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 8 slices of super-thick smoked bacon, cooked until dark brownish-red, fat drained, cut into 1/4” bits
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, cut into 1/4” chunks
- 1–1/2 cups crispy, dried fried onion rings, crumbled and used to top the salad
- garnish: cherry tomatoes cut in half
- freshly cracked black pepper and salt to taste
Lemon Basil Dressing:
- 1 – 2 cups sour cream (add 1st cup first, add more after all ingredients for the dressing are added, stir, taste, add more sour cream if preferred)
- 3– 4 Tbsps. freshly squeezed lemon juice (do the same with the lemon juice)
- ½ cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) – 1 tsp. honey, if desired
For the Chopped Salad:
- In a very large bowl, combine lettuce, spinach, radicchio, red onions, green olives, mushrooms, eggs, hearts of palm and bacon; toss well.
- Add crumbled blue cheese and about 1/2 of Lemon Basil Dressing; toss until well mixed.
- Divide salad among 4 dinner plates, garnish with cherry tomato halves and top salads with crispy fried onions.
Lemon Basil Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients, add seasoned salt and garlic powder to taste.
- Mix well; refrigerate until serving.
- Refrigerate any leftover dressing.