This recipe for Thai Cucumber Salad is as authentic as one can get. Inspired by all of the glorious Thai dishes and excellent Thai cooks who shared recipes wth me, this is simply the BEST Thai Cucumber Salad! Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!
For the Salad:
- 2 large English cucumbers, cut lengthwise in half and then slice into 1/4” thick slices
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup red onions, very thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper or 1 Thai red chili if you prefer true “Thai Hot” heat, seeded and finely minced
- 6 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 3/4 – 1 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil or sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Thai garlic chili pepper sauce (this is not HOT sauce at all)
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest of one lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Asian/Thai fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Red pepper flakes (sprinkle on only as much as you like or eliminate for no heat addition)
First make the dressing:
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the salad.
- Add more of any of the flavors that you prefer, which is the true Thai way.
- Spoon onto a lovely serving plate or individual salad plates.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and sliced limes.
- Serve with a platter of extra lime slices, red pepper flakes, chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, Thai sweet chili sauce, sugar, salt, etc. for your guests to add more of their favorite flavors.
I am forever indebted to the University of Tennessee which supported my travels and research to Thailand for two summers. Additionally, I must thank Dr. Warunee Thanapase of Kasetsart University in Bangkok, Thailand for the tireless amount of time that she drove me around her beautiful country sharing everything that I could soak in after our research work was complete.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 538
- Sugar: 21
- Sodium: 1219
- Fat: 37
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 25
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 26
Keywords: Thai; cucumber; salad