- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a food processor or in a bowl with a pastry blender blend together the flour, the sugar, the baking powder, the salt, the baking soda, and the butter until the mixture resembles meal and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the zest, the juice, and the egg, add the mixture to the flour mixture, and stir the batter until it is just combined.
- Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts and transfer the batter to a well-buttered 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake the bread in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 1-1/4 hours, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes and turn it out onto a rack.