For The Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1–1/3 cups drained crushed pineapple
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 cups shredded carrots
- Prepare praline filling and cream cheese frosting.
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1–1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8–oz. packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks of butter
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. butter flavoring
- pinch of salt
For the cake
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 3 9-inch round baking pans with butter/cooking spray and flour dusting.
- In a small amount (about 1 cup) of water, cook the shredded carrots for about 15 minutes to tenderize.
- Drain all of the water from the carrots.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
- Mix well.
- Add the softened butter, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, pineapple, coconut, pecans, and carrots.
- Place equal amounts of cake batter into each of three prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on baking racks to cool.
For The Praline Filling
- In a heavy pan, melt the butter.
- Add brown sugar and mix well.
- Add cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix well again.
- Slowly add in the flour and cornstarch.
- Vigorously blend well with a whipping utensil.
- Use a small-holed strainer to remove any lumps of flour/cornstarch.
- Pour the praline filling into a metal bowl.
- Place in the freezer for a few hours to thicken or refrigerate overnight.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Assembly of Cake
- Gently remove cooled 3 cakes layers from pans.
- Pour half of the praline filling onto 2 of the cake layers only.
- Immediately place these in the freezer if the filling is too runny. This will thicken up the filling more quickly.
- Remove chilled cake layers with praline filling from the freezer after several hours.
- Spread thick layers of cream cheese frosting on top of the two cake layers with filling.
- Place these two cake layers on top of each other and then place the final third cake layer without any praline filling on the top.
- Frost the cake and decorate how you like.