- 1 (one) 3 to 4 lb. chicken, cut into pieces (breasts, wings, thighs, drumstick legs)
To Marinate Chicken:
- 6 – 8 medium cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Breading for the Chicken:
- 1–1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1–3/4 tsp. freshly cracked sea salt
- 1–1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more if you really want some extra heat!)
For Frying the Chicken:
- Safflower oil, enough to fill a deep, heavy frying pan at least an inch high
- Put minced garlic in a medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne; whisk to blend.
- Place chicken pieces in a 13×9 inch glass baking dish.
- Pour buttermilk mixture all over the chicken; turning each piece over to coat completely.
- Cover and chill (at least 8 hours or overnight), turning occasionally.
- After the marinating period, place a rack over a baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and set on the rack to drain for 10 minutes.
Bread the Chicken:
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Toss the chicken pieces individually in the flour mixture, turning to coat; shaking off excess.
- Once again, toss each piece (a second time) in the flour mixture; shake off any excess again.
- Transfer chicken back to a clean rack over a baking sheet; allow to stand for at least 15 minutes and up to 45 minutes.
To Fry and Bake the Chicken:
- Pre-heat oven to low.
- Line baking sheet with paper towels.
- Pour oil into a large, heavy skillet to a depth of 1 inch.
- Heat the oil over a high heat of 375 degrees (or until a small cube of fresh bread sizzles instantly when added to the oil).
- Add the chicken thigh and leg pieces to the skillet first.
- Adjust the heat so that the temperature remains between 340 and 350 degrees (or until a small cube of bread sizzles slowly when added).
- Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, turning chicken occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to paper towel-lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheet with chicken in the pre-heated oven to keep warm while frying the remaining chicken.
- Reheat the oil back up to 375 degrees.
- Add the chicken breast and wing pieces to the skillet.
- Adjust the heat so that the temperature is between 340 and 350 degrees.
- Fry the chicken until cooked through and golden brown, about 10 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to another prepared baking sheet and drain.
- Place in the oven to stay warm until ready to serve.
Plate and Garnish the Chicken:
- Transfer the chicken to a pretty platter.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges (optional).
- Serve immediately
- Calories: 0
- Fat: 0