- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, crushed
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring.
- Use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals on the side of the pan.
- Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream.
- The mixture will bubble.
- Stir in the unsalted butter, and salt.
- Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool.