It’s getting hot out there, don’t ya think? After such a beautiful spring, I’m spoiled and now the HEAT IS ON!
Just in time for the 4th of July with swimming pool parties, sea-side fun on the beach, boating excursions, or simply staying cool inside to watch the traditional Wimbleton tennis tournament (and that’s not a bad thing), here’s a solution that will have your guests drooling!
Any way you spend your 4th of July celebration, if it’s hot out there, everyone welcomes something to help cool off. A perfect solution that fits the bill are these Espresso Brownie Parfaits with Amaretto Ice Cream & Salted Caramel Sauce. Oh yea! To make it even feel colder, serve these in glasses that have been set in the freezer so they frost up really nice, just like a mug of ice cold root beer is served in!
Now if you aren’t into the additional flavor of espresso or coffee, than just leave it out. I always let everyone know that when you’re cooking or baking anything, make it the way that YOU and your family love it. It’s fun to tweak recipes here and there for your own personal preferences!
So grab a big spoon and a large napkin for these parfaits and stay cool!
- Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 (19.8-ounce) box of your favorite brownie mix (even I cheat once in awhile!)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- slivered or sliced almonds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk 1/3 cup of water, oil, eggs, and 2 tablespoons espresso powder in a large bowl to blend. Add the brownie mix.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cut brownies.
- Layer in clear glasses alternating with the ice cream and salted caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle sliced or slivered almonds on top.
and now for the recipe for the Amaretto Ice Cream!
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 jumbo egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- Bring cream and milk to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Whisk yolks, sugar, and corn syrup in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Return to saucepan; stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Strain into medium bowl.
- Chill until cold.
- Whisk in amaretto.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold in almonds.
- Transfer to covered container and freeze.
and for the grand finale: the Salted Caramel Sauce recipe for you!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, crushed
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring.
- Use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals on the side of the pan.
- Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream.
- The mixture will bubble.
- Stir in the unsalted butter, and salt.
- Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool.