- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces pancetta(or guanciale) 1 onion (chopped) 5 cloves garlic (minced) 1/4 teaspoon peperoncini (dried red pepper flakes) 2 tablespoons red wine 28 ounces tomatoes (San Marzano pureed or Mutti ‘passata’ sauce) sea salt (freshly grated) black pepper (freshly grated) 2 teaspoons sugar (or 1/2 cup shredded carrot) 2 basil leaves (large) 1 sage leaf (large) 1 sprig rosemary 1/4 cup Italian parsley (minced) 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese (freshly grated) 1 pound noodles (Bucatini pasta) 1/2 cup pasta (cooking water) pancetta Italian parsley pecorino romano (Pass the grated, or Parmigiana)
- (or guanciale)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon peperoncini (dried red pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- San Marzano pureed or Mutti ‘passata’ sauce)
Mutti ‘passata’ sauce
- sea salt (freshly grated)
- black pepper (freshly grated)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or 1/2 cup shredded carrot)
- 2 basil leaves (large)
- 1 sage leaf (large)
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (minced)
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese (freshly grated)
- (Bucatini pasta)
- 1/2 cup pasta (cooking water)
- Italian parsley
- pecorino romano (Pass the grated, or Parmigiana)
- Saute’ the pancetta or guanciale in olive oil on medium heat in a heavy skillet.
- Add the onions, garlic, and hot red pepper flakes (or 1 dried peperoncino). Saute until browned, about 10 minutes.
- It is entirely up to you to add wine at this point.
- Gently stir the mixture until nicely blended together.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook at a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened.
- In boiling, salted water, cook your pasta (bucatini) for no more than 5 minutes until al dente and strain the water, leaving 1/2 cup of pasta water to add to the sauce.
- Add about a handful of freshly grated pecorino cheese to the simmering sauce on the stove and blend well. Then carefully pour the hot Amatriciana sauce onto the hot pasta.
- Gently and thoroughly stir the sauce with the pasta.
- Add the reserved pasta water a little at a time to loosen the sauce to your desired consistency. Taste. Add more cheese if you like. Make sure you have a lot of grated pecorino cheese to take to the table also.