- 4 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 cup red onion, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 20 fresh basil leaves, sliced into slivers or shredded
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Freshly-cracked sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 cups of several days-old cabbala or hard-crusty Italian bread, cut into 1″ cubes
- Sprigs of fresh basil for garnish.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onions, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper until well mixed.
- Just before serving, toss in the bread cubes.
- If you prefer, you can allow the salad to set for 10 minutes before serving so that the bread soaks up the vinaigrette more.
Kick it up a notch by doing any of the following
- Add some chopped up cucumbers.
- Add cubes of fresh bufalo mozzarella.
- Or add chopped prosciutto.
- OR, add a combination or all of the above!