- 8 medium to large beets
- 2 –3 bunches of green onions (shallots)
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 – 12 green leafy lettuce (romaine, bib, arugula, red leaf, assorted varieties)
- 4 – 8 ounces soft Italian Gorgonzola cheese (you can substitute goat cheese, but not Feta which is too tart)
- 1/2 cup roasted and chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, such as Grey Poupon
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour the olive oil onto a shallow baking pan. Add the beets and roll them around to coat with olive oil.
- Roast 1 hour or until beets are tender depending on their size until a small sharp knife inserted in the middle indicates that they are tender.
- Meanwhile, while the beets are roasting, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and set aside. You want to have the vinaigrette ready when the beets are warm.
- Once the beets are roasted and tender inside, cool them until they are able to be handled, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the peel (skins). You should be able to easily slide off the skin when the beets are lukewarm. Peel the beets with a small, sharp knife over the sink or parchment paper so the beets don’t stain your cutting board.
- Cut the peeled beets into quarters, chunks, or slices, whatever you prefer. I have cut beets in each of these forms and I love them all,
- While the beets are still warm, place them in a large mixing bowl along with the onions. Gently toss.
- Toss them with half of the vinaigrette (warm beets absorb more vinaigrette), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Taste for your preferred level of these seasonings.
- Place the lettuce in a separate large mixing bowl and toss it with enough vinaigrette to moisten but not soak and over-dress the lettuce.
- Put the dressed lettuce on a serving platter. Using a large serving spoon, arrange the beets, Gorgonzola cheese, and nuts on top.
- Drizzle with additional vinaigrette, if desired, and sprinkle with salt and pepper, if preferred.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- ENJOY and BUON APPETITO!