Incredibly juicy, grilled chicken with Mexican spices from an easy and flavor-packed marinade. Simply prepare the marinade, allow the chicken to soak in it for hours, and then grill . . . that’s it!
Serve with ‘amore’!
- 6 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts (but you can use any part of a chicken that you prefer).
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1/4 c freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 Tbsp. ‘Sazon’ Coriander with Anotto
- 1 tsp. Annatto (Achiote) Powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. chipotle pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. each: fresh-cracked sea salt and black peppercorns
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, stems removed, chopped
ADD LOTS of Amore’ !
TO SERVE: On a large platter in assorted small bowls, add any topping you prefer: pico de gallo, chopped lettuce and tomatoes, chopped onions, avocado, guacamole, salsa, queso, cotija cheese, shredded Mexican cheese blend, etc.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the orange, lime, and lemon juices. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and saute’ the garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add all of the spices to the garlic-oil mixture, give it a nice stir, and heat up for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro and onion and cook for another 5 minutes. Allow this to cool completely; you do not want to cook the chicken at all while it marinates.
- When completely cooled, save 2/3rd cup and set it aside (you’ll use this to baste the chicken during grilling and to offer guests more if desired).
- In a large 2-quart heavy Ziploc bag, pour in the fruit juice mixture that you set aside earlier.
- Now add the remaining marinade.
- OPTIONAL: To the marinade, add one more bunch of fresh cilantro (stems cut off) with one sliced onion.
- Add the chicken.
- Shut and seal the Ziploc bag and gently move the chicken around in the marinade to get all of the pieces thoroughly covered.
- Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours and up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the used marinade in the plastic bag (do not use this to baste during the grilling process). Remember that you set aside some marinade . . . to use in the following step: to baste the chicken while grilling.
- Preheat your grill to 375 – 475 F degrees
- Place the marinated chicken onto the heated grill.
- Close the grill and cook for 30 minutes.
- Baste the chicken about every 5 minutes as it cooks.
- Grill until the temperature registers 165 F degrees when inserting an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of each piece of chicken.
- The unused marinade can be passed around to guests (but do not use the marinade that the chicken marinaded in for hours).
- Serve with any topping you prefer: pico de gallo, chopped lettuce and tomatoes, chopped onions, avocado, guacamole, salsa, queso, cotija cheese, shredded Mexican cheese blend, etc.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 455
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 866
- Fat: 37
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Protein: 24
- Cholesterol: 95