This is the real deal in regard to Italian Caprese Salad – Insalata Caprese. There are numerous varieties for presentation of this appetizer/salad, including my Caprese Salad with Grape Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil. But the most authentic way to prepare “Insalata Caprese” is extremely simple and delightful. Especially in these summer months when tomatoes and basil are at their freshest!
As the name implies, this salad originated on the isle of Capri, off the west coast of Italy.
Capri has been a very popular resort in the last century for celebrities, artists and writers. One of the most famous sites to see is the breathtaking Blue Grotto. A beautiful small island that is a must to see when visiting Southern Italy.
The colors of of this Italian salad include red, white, and green which are the colors of Italy’s flag, which makes it a little bit more “Italian”. Most of all, Insalata Caprese, encompasses the pure, delicious simplicity of Italian cuisine at its utmost!
- Fresh Roma or small-sized tomatoes, sliced about 1/4″ thick
- Fresh, soft buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced about 1/4″ thick
- Fresh whole basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground Italian sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Lay the sliced tomatoes on a platter.
- Layer the mozzarella slices on top of the tomato slices.
- Lay one to two large whole basil leaves on top of the tomato and cheese slices.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle the freshly ground Italian sea salt and black pepper over everything.
- Serve with a small loaf of baguettes, sliced about 1/2″ thick.
- Rub fresh garlic all over the tops of each slice.
- ** We also enjoy a great balsamic vinegar drizzled all over the Caprese. It’s wonderful!
** We also enjoy a great balsamic vinegar drizzled all over the Caprese. It’s wonderful!