(photo copyrighted copyrighted to original photographer: Roz Corieri Paige) .
I am just SO excited and jazzed! All of this rain and warm weather with sunny days after the rains have contributed to an bountiful crop of tomatoes! That’s right, it’s only June and I’m harvesting tomatoes by the bucket-fulls.
So today I’ve made one of my all time favorite Italian dishes: Caprese Salad with Grape Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Basil. Normally, I slice up nice some Roma tomatoes (or any tomato, really!), then slice up some fresh imported Mozzarella cheese, and finally, stack those with large basil leaves. I drizzle them with high-quality Extra Virgin First Pressed Italian Olive Oil and sprinkle them with Italian sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
But with this bumper crop of grape tomatoes coming in, I chose to make a Caprese salad instead. This salad uses all of the same ingredients, just in smaller pieces. You can eat it by the fork or the spoonful! I also pass around fresh Italian bread to serve along with the salad for guests to spoon some salad on top and eat or to mop up the flavored olive oil! Mmmmm, just pure and simple heaven!
Roz's Caprese Salad with Grape Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Basil
Write a review
- 4 - 5 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 lb fresh imported Italian mozzarella, cut into 1/4 - 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin, first preseed Italian olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar for a more mild flavor)
- 10 - 15 large fresh basil leaves (to taste)
- Italian sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh Italian bread
- Toss together the tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Tear the basil into large pieces and toss into the salad.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately (can be refrigerated to serve a little bit later too).
- Serve with fresh, crusty Italian bread
La Bella Vita Cucina https://www.italianbellavita.com/
If you enjoy delicious tomato recipes, here is a link to some more mouthwatering tomato recipes! I KNOW that you’ll love each of them!