- 1 pound of butter
- 4 pounds of flour
- 12 tsp. baking powder
- 2 pounds of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 lemons, juice AND rind
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 4 tsp. anise seed or 1–1/2 tsp. oil of anise
- Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, sugar, salt.
- Mix in the lemon juice and rind, and almonds.
- Add the melted butter, beaten eggs (one at a time), and anise to this mixture.
- Blend all ingredients together well.
- Divide the dough into 3 to 4 batches.
- Roll each batch of dough into long strips/logs about 3 inches wide by 12 inches long.
- Place the strips/logs on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees until lightly colored, about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Cut diagonally into slices about 1″ thick.
- If desired, bake again with the slices placed on their sides, for another 5 – 10 minutes. (My family likes contucci prepared both ways, so we bake half a second time for the drier (dipping) version, and leave the other half baked only once for the more moist version).
- If you enjoyed this recipe, please pin it on Pinterest and/or share it on Instagram! Thank you for doing this!