Fresh, Sweet Strawberry Ice Cream

Yes, another recipe for ice cream in the world of food this month . . . and yes, it IS strawberry!  I don’t know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods, but it is a whopping 98 degrees today with a sticky 93% level of humidity.  So what do we do in the South to endure these scorching temps?

• Well, Bill and I don’t have a pool to jump into to cool off (but he has promised that when we win the lottery, I get my dream pool)!
  • It’s too hot to go out on the lake, even to sit in the shade (just ask the fish!).
  • And I don’t run through yard sprinklers anymore (maybe I should!).

So the next best thing for the two of us to do in this heat, is to relax indoors with something chilly and cold!  What better thing to enjoy than fresh, homemade ice cream!

It’s Father’s Day and food is what my husband craves!  Bill is a crazy, almost maniac, ice-cream-loving guy. Not one day goes by in this house that he doesn’t have a bite of ice cream!   And his very favorite flavor of all is simply strawberry . . . nothing fancy at all . . . just good, old-fashioned, plain strawberry ice cream.

So two years ago for Father’s Day, it was a no-brainer for what I chose to give him for a gift – – his very own automatic ice cream maker/machine. You may have read in other posts that I’m a brand loyal Cuisinart fan. I’ve just never been disappointed with Cuisinart ever since my very first Cuisinart food processor that I bought in 1979 that I still use to this day. Last year there was even a more powerful, almost commercial-level Cuisinart ice cream maker placed on the market, but it commands a price well over $200 which is far too steep for our budget.

Making fresh, home-made ice cream is just one of the easiest things to prepare now that we have these automatic gadgets.  Simply gather up all of your ingredients, do a little mashing/pureeing tango dance with your immersion blender (which we lovingly call our ‘boat motor’), pour everything into the pre-frozen container, flip the switch and let it whirl!  After a half hour, put the ice cream into the freezer to harden further if you so desire.  If you like soft ice cream, then you’ll be thrilled with the half hour results.  It’s just a little too runny for us, but I’m sure that it would be great over a simple pound cake or angel food cake.

The strawberry season was very early this year due to high temperatures in the spring, but still graced us with lovely, huge berries. They grew bigger this year because of the slower speed in which they grew compared to last year.

You can tell that someone went nuts at the berry farm purchasing strawberries, but I’m a freezing, put-up, canning maniac and love to buy produce in season, only to be able to enjoy them throughout the year from the freezer or the jar.

Here is a simple recipe that we use, and as I said, it is pure and simple. I hope you enjoy this cold, creamy treat on a hot summer day!

Fresh, Home-Made Strawberry Ice Cream

3 cups fresh ripe strawberries, stemmed and sliced
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
1-1/4 cups whole milk
2-3/4 cups heavy cream
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
In a small bowl, combine the strawberries with the lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
Stir gently and allow the strawberries to macerate in the juices for 2 hours.
Strain the berries, reserving juices.
Mash or purée half the berries.
In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and remaining granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream, reserved strawberry juice, mashed strawberries, and vanilla.
Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Five minutes before mixing is completed, add the reserved sliced strawberries and let mix in completely.
The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture.
If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Gently wash the strawberries.

Remove the green stems from the clean strawberries and remove any bruised areas.

Slice the strawberries to your desired thickness.

Pour all of the ingredients into an electric, automatic ice cream maker (this is my beloved Cuisinart).

Be on the look out for hungry, strawberry lovin’ golden retrievers hanging out in the kitchen. “Buckeye” and “Abby” are being so polite and patiently waiting. They know they’d be in big trouble if they ever took something off my table . . . they have superb manners, and very begging eyes, huh?

One last peek at a perfect and beautiful strawberry! Just amazing!
Hope you are able to make some home-made, cold, creamy goodness this summer! M-mmmm!

Fresh, Sweet Strawberry Ice Cream

share the love my friends! Thanks!Pin on Pinterest1Google+0Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter0

Comments

Delicious homemade strawberry ice cream. Lovely dogs, are they golden retrievers? I must say that they are the best and always try to please you. I also have one golden retriever, she is cute, well manner, and of course very clever too.

There is nothing better than homemade ice cream. My husband is the same way, he always has a bowl of ice cream for dessert. One night he got home late from work and went straight for the ice cream for dinner/dessert. I will have to try this strawberry recipe.

My hubby LOVES strawberry ice cream, too…it’s his fave! All those strawberries are gorgeous…as are your pups =) I made strawberry ice cream a few days ago, but it’s gone now…guess I’ll have to give your recipe a try next! Thanks so much for bringing it to Two for Tuesdays this week.

The strawberries on your post look like could jump right off my computer screen. I wish they would! They are simply beautiful. I wish I had buckets of them at my house to put up, make ice cream, or just eat plain.

Once again, I leave your page hungry! I LOVE Strawberry ice cream…anything strawberry actually. and I LOVE your pics!!! AMAZING!!! They simply bounce off the page…

Oh Roz what a beautiful ice cream display! I have been wanting an ice cream maker for quite some time. I keep telling myself, be patient, it will come one of these days. Love your puppy dogs. Ours is a sad face beggar!

Ciao Bella! Thanks for sharing the real food love on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! I was blessed to taste some awesome home made strawberry ice cream just today and wondered how it was made! Will be trying this out for sure!:) alex

Gorgeous berries. My ice cream maker has been churnin’ too. there is nothing like homemade ice cream.

PS: I lost my mare on Saturday. She was 27 years old. I blogged about her. You know how it feels…

These strawberry’s look delicious!! And your dogs are adorable! What a great summer recipe. Thanks so much for adding it to our Two for Tuesday blog hop!

now that is a beautiful strawberry ice cream!! so fresh and vibrant!
    I think the smaller berries have more flavor that those huge ones we see in the supermarkets..but hey big or small fresh strawberries when they are local is a wonderful thing!
    Dennis

The recipe looks wonderful! We love strawberries, but my husband loves home made icecream. I might have to par-take of this delicious summer treat. Stopping by from New Friend Fridays.

I think I need to go buy one of those ice cream makers after looking at this!! I love anything strawberry and so I really need to make this…it looks delicious and your pics are gorgeous!!!

Just wanted to say hi!

Love this ice cream! It’s beautiful! My strawberries came in early this year as well. I have alot of jamming to get done this weekend, but I’ll save some of my strawberries for this :D

Wow. Those are a lot of strawberries there. It looks so good. We’ve recently fallen in love with Gelato. We made a trip to Europe, and, gasp, we didn’t try any gelato over there. So we decided to try it out back home, not as good I’m told as European gelato, but still, we like it a lot.

I love all Cuisinart products, too. My sister-in-law and I were just discussing (tonight) that we needed to get one of the ice cream makers before next weekend when we’re having a family get together. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Strawberry icecream is my favorite!

I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker too and I LOVE it!! This is a great recipe – I love that it’s not custard-based so it’s quick and easy. What a perfect way to use all those beautiful strawberries. Gorgeous!

Hi Roz. Just found your blog via your comment on Rebecca’s Chow and Chatter. Being a Roz too…I had to click on your link. HOW could I not have seen your site before?? I love it, the photos, the content…lovely! I will be back to visit often. Thank you! Signed, the “other Roz”!

If I win the lottery and move to a bigger house, that has a bigger refrigerator freezer, so that I can ice up the bowl of a Cuisinart ice cream maker, then I am making this recipe, Roz!

As of now I will just drool over your wonderful photos and imagine how scrumptious this tastes!I’ve alwasy wanted to make my own ice cream and strawberry would be among my first batches. :)

Thanks for entering my HpomeGoods gift card give away!

Re: Your comment on my blog, Roz,
    What a wonderful opportunity you had to go to Russia. I love Lomonosov porcelain, especially their cobalt designs. You and I do share a lot in common. So much so, that I often don’t say anything about it for fear of sounding fake. I even have a Golden too. His name is Rock. And a Siamese – Pompom. :-)

You know I love ice cream, especially home made. Another wonderful post as usual.

You should start running through the sprinklers again- it’s cheap entertainment :-) It’s been terribly hot here in the 100’s every day so a couple weeks ago we went out and played with the water hose. It actually felt like it was in the 80’s instead. nice!

This ice cream looks wonderful too. Strawberries are my favorite and who doesn’t love ice cream?

A person involved in carrying out and see how — with the
    City of Chicago requires careful thought for this requirement.
    I unlicensed contractors don t feel obligated to do
    so. It can potentially minimize your expenses since you do unlicensed contractors your next expiration date.
    Substantial bid sheets pricing will be judged
    by style and preferences. The turn of electricity. Independent contractors
    can come to expect during the interview. Improve
    insulationDepending on the field.
    Charolette recently posted..CharoletteMy Profile

Howdy! I’m at work surfin arund your blog from
    myy new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Keep up thee fantastic work!
    Diana recently posted..DianaMy Profile