Are you ready for some football?
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced through a garlic press
- 2 cups finely chopped celery, including the leaves
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 2 lbs. ground pork
- 4 - 5 lbs. ground lean ground round (you can also use ground turkey in this recipe)
- 1/2 can chopped jalapeno peppers . . . or better yet, 1/2 of one chopped fresh jalapeno pepper with seeds removed ~ ~ note that using the fresh option increases the level of heat (spiciness).
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/3 cup cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 28-oz. cans peeled, whole or diced Italian tomatoes
- 3 6-oz. cans tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can light rid kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- Louisiana Hot Sauce - - generously sprinkle as much as you like (and we like our chili HOT!)
- Sour cream
- Finely shredded 4-cheese Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped green onion stems
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pan.
- Add the garlic, chopped onion, celery, and green pepper to saute'.
- Add the pork and beef. Cook while constantly stirring and breaking down the chunks of meat, cooking until the meat is browned nicely.
- Add all of the spices and stir until well blended.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- Add the corn (optional).
- Add the jalapenos (use the amount you prefer for heat level).
- Add all of the beans.
- Heat up the spiciness by adding Louisiana Hot Sauce, about 5 shots to begin with.
- Adjust seasonings by adding more where desired, especially the cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes!
- Cook on low heat for about an hour to allow all of the flavors to blend, adding more water if the chili becomes to thick.
- Add a little water at a time until your preference of thickness is reached.
- Garnish with sour cream, Mexican cheese, and chopped green onion stems.
- Serve with fresh cornbread and/or tortilla chips.
- Also have small bowls of sour cream and Mexican cheese to pass around to your guests.
- ** This chili freezes very nicely too, since this is a big batch of chili!
** This chili freezes very nicely too, since this is a big batch of chili!