“I normally don’t like leafy salads, but this salad is really good!” . . . unexpected words coming from my iceberg-lettuce-loving husband when I prepared this Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette. I love it when that reaction happens!
I realize that we’re still in the midst of winter and that I don’t have fresh lettuce growing in my gardens. “Slim pickins'” ring true when it comes to what’s currently in my raised garden beds. So I have to confess that during my non-gardening months, I have to toss my ‘buy and eat local’ philosophy temporarily out of the kitchen. I have to have fresh salads, fruits and vegetables throughout the year! Maybe I was a rabbit in a previous life. Just saying’!
After eating heavier, rib-stickin’ comfort foods and staring out at grey skies, my cravings for something more fresh, light, crunchy, and bright just escalates! A main entree salad delivers its promise of more lightness into your recipe repertoire.
And yes, I am on a constant diet, so I need a salad fix that has some heft to it so that I’m not hungry after 15 minutes. My salads have to satisfy appetites. The ‘meal’ salads that I enjoy are more than lettuce. They are chock full of a protein such as chicken or fish, fruits, other vegetables, nuts, and cheeses dressed with an interesting vinaigrette!
This Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette delivers in all of these requirements PLUS flavor to boot!
In keeping with my approach to seasonal cooking and baking, blood oranges + pomegranate bring a tangy and sweet combo flavor boost to this delicious salad. I adore the beautiful color impact that they add too! And the vinaigrette is one that you’ll want to drink all by itself!
Add some sweetened pecans and either crumbled goat or Italian gorgonzola cheese because a good salad, no a great salad, always, ALWAYS includes cheese and nuts.
Don’t skimp on main meal salads . . . you won’t be hungry later, but will feel satisfied and happy that you ate such a healthy meal.
I hope that you try and enjoy this Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette!
Gather all of your vinaigrette ingredients:
About 4 blood oranges will produce ½ cup of juice. Use more or less of what you prefer.
Grill the salmon and plate a bright, colorful presentation!
- 2 - 3 salmon filets, skinned and boned
- 1 - 2 bags of spring/Italian leafy lettuce (or buy separately and chop)
- 1 blood orange, peeled, pith removed, sections separated
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (include the green stems if you like, since they are edible)
- 1 avocado, skin removed, pitted, and sliced and cubed
- 1 cup pomagranate ariels
- 1 cup sweetened pecans
- 1 cup crumbled goat or Italian gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 very large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. minced green onions
- 2 - 3 Tbsps. honey
- ½ tsp. freshly-cracked sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly-cracked black pepper.
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together (can be prepared ahead of time).
- Mix all salad ingredients together.
- Grill salmon for 5 minutes on each side.
- Place a bed of mixed salad ingredients on a platter or individual plates.
- Place salmon filets on top of the platter or on individual plates of salad.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.
#SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.