“I normally don’t like leafy salads, but this salad is really good!” . . . unexpected words coming from my iceberg-lettuce-loving husband when I prepared this Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette. I love it when that reaction happens!
I realize that we’re still in the midst of winter and that I don’t have fresh lettuce growing in my gardens. “Slim pickins'” ring true when it comes to what’s currently in my raised garden beds. So I have to confess that during my non-gardening months, I have to toss my ‘buy and eat local’ philosophy temporarily out of the kitchen. I have to have fresh salads, fruits and vegetables throughout the year! Maybe I was a rabbit in a previous life. Just saying’!
After eating heavier, rib-stickin’ comfort foods and staring out at grey skies, my cravings for something more fresh, light, crunchy, and bright just escalates! A main entree salad delivers its promise of more lightness into your recipe repertoire.
And yes, I am on a constant diet, so I need a salad fix that has some heft to it so that I’m not hungry after 15 minutes. My salads have to satisfy appetites. The ‘meal’ salads that I enjoy are more than lettuce. They are chock full of a protein such as chicken or fish, fruits, other vegetables, nuts, and cheeses dressed with an interesting vinaigrette!
This Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette delivers in all of these requirements PLUS flavor to boot!
In keeping with my approach to seasonal cooking and baking, blood oranges + pomegranate bring a tangy and sweet combo flavor boost to this delicious salad. I adore the beautiful color impact that they add too! And the vinaigrette is one that you’ll want to drink all by itself!
Add some sweetened pecans and either crumbled goat or Italian gorgonzola cheese because a good salad, no a great salad, always, ALWAYS includes cheese and nuts.
Don’t skimp on main meal salads . . . you won’t be hungry later, but will feel satisfied and happy that you ate such a healthy meal.
I hope that you try and enjoy this Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette!
Gather all of your vinaigrette ingredients:
About 4 blood oranges will produce ½ cup of juice. Use more or less of what you prefer.
.Grill the salmon and plate a bright, colorful presentation!
Did you make any of these recipes?
……………….….We’d love to see your delicious creation!
- 2 - 3 salmon filets, skinned and boned
- 1 - 2 bags of spring/Italian leafy lettuce (or buy separately and chop)
- 1 blood orange, peeled, pith removed, sections separated
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (include the green stems if you like, since they are edible)
- 1 avocado, skin removed, pitted, and sliced and cubed
- 1 cup pomagranate ariels
- 1 cup sweetened pecans
- 1 cup crumbled goat or Italian gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 very large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. minced green onions
- 2 - 3 Tbsps. honey
- ½ tsp. freshly-cracked sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly-cracked black pepper.
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together (can be prepared ahead of time).
- Mix all salad ingredients together.
- Grill salmon for 5 minutes on each side.
- Place a bed of mixed salad ingredients on a platter or individual plates.
- Place salmon filets on top of the platter or on individual plates of salad.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.