Apple Pudding Cake with Cinnamon Butter Sauce
It sure feels like fall around here after some record breaking 80’s temperatures last week; it reached 65 degrees for the high today here on the acreage. We turned on the heat for the first time, and as usual the fire alarms protest in chorus for about 60 seconds while my husband and I frantically run around the house opening windows and turning on ceiling and exhaust fans to air the house out! The dogs and the cats freak out and run for any place outside to escape the shrieking alarm sounds.
This happens every fall when we first turn on our heat, so we’ve officially entered the fall season on the acreage despite fall starting in September. The gardens will be shriveling up very soon. I’ve seen roses bloom in the Carolina’s late into November, so who knows!
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chopped apples
Cinnamon Butter Sauce
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- (You may want to double the sauce)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy; beat in the egg.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level it off.
- Add flour, baking soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in the apples.
- Spread batter into a greased pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until butter melts and sauce is hot, stirring frequently. Serve warm sauce over the warm cake.