Oh Amaretto, sweet Amaretto! How wonderful you pair with cherries!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup crushed Amaretti cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
For the cake/dessert
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 jumbo eggs
- 3 cups, pitted, dark sweet cherries
- 1 Tbsp. Amaretto di Saronno
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Whole cherries with stems, for garnish on top of whipped cream
For the Amaretto Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream* (do not add sour cream if you don’t add Amaretto)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. Amaretto di Saronno
- FIRST, clean and pit the cherries.
- Soak the clean cherries in the Amaretto liqueur and almond extract.
- Let them remain in the marinade until time to prepare the cake batter.
To prepare the crumble topping (first)
- Combine the flour, Amaretti cookie crumbs, butter, almonds, and brown sugar.
- Mix gently until the mixture looks like coarse, little lumps about the size of a 'pea'.
- Chill the topping while making the cake batter.
To make the cake batter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a deep pie pan (I used ceramic) with non-stick cooking spray (I used butter flavored). Set dish aside.
- With a hand-held electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix in flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add these to the creamed mixture WHILE ALTERNATING with the eggs that are added one at a time and then adding a little more dry mixture . . . repeat until all is well mixed.
- Spread the batter into the baking dish (it won't pour, it is very thick).
- Place the cherries onto the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the cherries.
- Cover the crumble with aluminum foil (loosely) so the topping does not burn while baking.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm with Amaretto whipped cream or plain.*
- Garnish with whole cherries with stems.
- *Leave out the sour cream if you are not adding any Amaretto; it is used to thicken the whipping cream when Amaretto waters the cream down.