Povitisa is a bread made of sweetened dough that is rolled out very thin and flat, and then heavily slathered with a cinnamon-y walnut filling. While walnut is the most traditional of the fillings used to make povitisa, other choices of fillings include chocolate, hazelnuts, strawberry jam, apples, cherries, and/or cream cheese. After the filling is spread over the dough, it is rolled up tightly, placed into loaf pans for uniform sizes and baked.
For the Filling
- 2 cups of milk, scalded
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 cups of ground walnuts or more until thicker
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
For the Bread Dough
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2/3 cup melted shortening (Crisco, etc.)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 10 cups flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 beaten eggs (jumbo)
- 2 packets or cakes of yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
For the Filling
- Mix all of the filling ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Over low heat, cook while stirring constantly until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
For the Dough
- Dissolve 1 tsp. sugar in lukewarm water.
- Add the yeast and COOLED milk.
- Add the shortening, sugar and salt.
- Add the beaten eggs.
- Add 3 – 4 cups of lour.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the flour and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough until light and elastic.
- Place in a large greased bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and place in the refrigerator to rise.
Assemble the Bread
- Cover table with floured cloth.
- Place dough on cloth and roll until it is 1/8″ thick.
- Spread filling evenly.
- Roll up and seal the dough.
- Prick the dough with a fork.
- Place in greased loaf pan. Cover.
- Place in warm spot and let it rise until the bread dough doubles in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the bread is light brown.
- If you enjoyed this recipe, please pin it on Pinterest and / or share it on Instagram! Thank you for your kindness!
Do you enjoy La Bella Vita Cucina?
We’d love to have you as part of our community!
Click here: La Bella Vita Cucina to get the latest recipes, travel tips and gardening ideas straight into your inbox!