I just love sweet beets! My mother used to toss them with diced onions in a simple Italian vinaigrette when I was growing up. She knew how much I loved beets prepared that way so much, that after I left home as an adult, she would always have a large bowl waiting for me when I would come home to visit. That recipe was posted back on June 29, ’09.
Beets were on my mind again lately, and so while I was at Whole Foods fresh produce department this week, my eyes honed in on the largest beets that I ever seen in my life! Just look below at the photo where I show the difference between one huge beet from Whole Foods on the right, compared to the beet in the center that I purchased from Wal-Mart today, and a jumbo cage-free egg on the left. I normally would not have bought beets from W-M, but I wanted to show just how large these beets are! I only bought three of them and they made a salad that will last all week long!
- 3 large Beets (or 1 regular sized ‘batch’), cooked in boiling water, cut into large slices or pieces
- 1 large sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 ripe Haas Avocado, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 jumbo cage-free Eggs, boiled, peeled, and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried sweet Cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered Almonds
- 1/2 cup slivered Manchego cheese
- Red-leaf Lettuce, cleaned and whole leaves pulled off, do not tear up into pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsps. chopped Onions
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning or 1 packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing
- Bring water to a boil in a very large, deep heavy pot.
- Place the beets in the hot water and boil until a fork can be easily inserted into the center.
- Remove the cooked beets from the water to cool.
- Peel and remove both ends.
- Slice into very thick slices.
- Place the lettuce on a platter for a base for the remaining ingredients.
- Spread a layer of the thickly cut beets on top of lettuce.
- Place the chopped avocados, onions, sliced eggs, dried cranberries, slivered almonds and slivers of Manchego cheese.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.
- Salt and pepper to desired preference.
- Serve with some beautiful artisan bread.